Cable length between LNA and RTL-SDR

POE would be handy for me as I have a POE capable switch in the attic (serves all my house network)

Where you you want to connect your switch? Remember, the device does not have an ethernet
connector! It operates over WiFi.

this POE thread started with a theoretical question, not a fact. Now only wifi

A ā€œpermanentā€ Outernet receiver deployment will need to be more than a Lantern style portable device. POE is a good option to both power the device and bring the data back to a network.

The 802.3af POE splitter to provide the 5vdc micro USB plug to power the CHIP, plus an Ethernet connection, costs less than $10 http://a.co/ioU8U9z This takes the 48vdc from a switch, or can take the 48v from this inexpensive power supply that has the network pass-thru for under $8 Amazon.com Iā€™ve been using these items for some time for various projects with RPi.

Now, the question is, can the CHIP OTG USB power jack be used with a USB network adapter? Can the USB network adapter be used in a USB hub along with the RTL , all connected to the CHIP USB 2 port?

Is it possible to power the CHIP with the 5vdc from a POE splitter, using the ā€œbatteryā€ port on the CHIP, thus freeing up the OTG USB port for a Ethernet?

1 Like

Before this even could be considered we first need to get rid of the ā€œpower buttonā€ and the flashing
procedure over USB with a wire jumper!
A device like you have in mind should always come up when power is applied and should have some
form of bootloader that allows flashing the firmware via BOOTP/TFTP. So there is no need to get the
device down just to power it up or even to do a firmware update.

Until then, I will keep my device indoors, thank you.

1 Like

hmmm good stuff, thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:ļø:+1: I need this for the roof!

yes, CHIP can powered via CHG-IN port (its on the 40pin pinheader connector) instead of micro usb.

@Abhishek might advise but I think the problem is the USB Ethernet adapter driver support by the OS running on CHIPā€¦

Also Iā€™m affraid of the digital noise added by ethernet in proximity of the antenna with 60dB sum LNA gainā€¦

Not sure how the CHIP Ethernet noise would compare, but I have an outdoor ADS-B system using POE, RPi B, RTL 820T2 with 15dB LNA and a ground plane antenna mounted directly to the plastic enclosure, and it works fine. Ethernet run is about 100ā€™. I get planes out to over 450 nautical miles, well beyond the radio horizon, so noise level canā€™t be too bad.