Changing Spreading Factor / Beam Type

Sweet !!

I think you’re under SES-2. Did you try Beam Type 55 yet?

It should be interesting to see if folks having difficulty achieving lock make out better under Beam Type 55.

Later today, I’m going to set up my portable terminal in the forest to see if I can achieve lock thru the canopy. Ken

By the way, I’m getting higher Packet Errors now that I’m on the “lock boarder” but still have lock. Ken

@kenbarbi So you have only gained about 20-degrees of freedom? That’s less than I was hoping for.

Yes without the aluminum horn I’m getting ± 20 degrees on azimuth. I haven’t done the elevation, nor have I tried it with the horn. I’ll do that tomorrow and report back. Cloud cover setting in now, and my SNR is bouncing between -17 and -20 dB - - no lock at -20 here.

I want to wait for less cloud cover to do testing thru the forest canopy too. Ken

But that is to be expected. the feedhorn and waveguide have an illumination of roughly 60 degrees (+/-30) before it drops off too steeply

Locked on with a 55 type, status page went green for east Tennessee, with out moving anything SNR is one point better currently getting a -3.5, using DirecTv dish with a bullseye LNB.

Best signal with this dish was plus 5, currently looking down a line of trees at the back of the property, successfully buried 125 foot of RG-6 cable to the dish.

1 Like

Latest testing with aluminum horn installed give similar results to no horn performance ±20 degrees of azimuth.

With LNB reset to correct azimuth and elevation, I’ve been able to keep lock for ± 10 degrees of elevation.

So far no contact thru tree canopy - - probably too thick this time of year.

Getting back to your recent comment, Syed,about getting more azimuth capability, I realize my sky view for SES-2 (87W) is only ± 20 degrees which covers SES-3 (103W) to SES-10 (67W). You’ll need to have someone with a totally unobstructed sky view re perform this test But this brings up another question of how does the SES-2 signal enter the LNB. Won’t the sides of the LNB block signals not directly aimed at the middle of the LNB regardless of how it is pointed? Have you tried a flat panel Ku band satellite antenna on Beam Type 55? Ken

Not able to test with the bare LNB at this time but here are the results with an 18-inch DirectTV dish, Bullseye LNB, beam type 55.

Richard

1 Like

We’re switching back to normal beamtype 36 tomorrow.

We are back at beamtype: 36

Very interesting test. Overall, my performance was better than before with a bare LNB all be it at a slower thru put rate :heart_eyes: Look forward to more comments about the test. Ken

My interest in testing the higher spreading factor was for smaller antennas, which have much wider beam widths. I cut off the horn of a Bullseye, but no packets were received. I also tried a bare LNB that was circularly polarized, but again nothing. The CP LNB should have worked, though.

Both types of LNBs have worked in the past, but we had higher spectral densities in those cases.

2 Likes