Debian rather than Ubuntu

I moved a post to a new topic: Bandwidth vs quantity of information

Canonical, the maker of Ubuntu, cooperates with the China government. China chooses Ubuntu as state-endorsed operating system - CNET
Do not choose Ubuntu please.

1 Like

Hereā€™s what they were actually doing:

According to Canonical, itā€™s working alongside the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology to bring a suitable Ubuntu version to China. The operating system, which will be known as Ubuntu Kylin, is expected to be released
in April [2013].

Thatā€™s an old article, and the OS is already available. I donā€™t see anything bad coming out of it since, so your fears are groundless.

At any rate, unless there is something substantial, such as proof that a backdoor is installed, I donā€™t think it factors into our decision to broadcast or not broadcast.

EDIT: Also to throw my 2c against Ubuntu, Iā€™m more concerned about the Amazon thing they ā€˜inventedā€™. But again, since itā€™s going to be broadcast to people who generally donā€™t have Internet, I donā€™t think thatā€™s such a big deal.

hi ,
as a linux user on kde (kubuntu) for almost a decade now, i have to say i really dont understand the discussion here about Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Puppy and you could say a couple more.
they ALL install .deb packages as far as i knowā€¦so without a doubt bringing a .deb package for outernet would open up the world to those few linux cracks always searching to get things running.
i guess it would be a tremendous boost for the community and the ā€œcooperationā€ ;-).
but thats just my two cents

greets heka

As a Linux user, I can say maintaining support for various desktop distros is going to be difficult. :smile: Tho, I believe the original topic was which desktop Linux distro should be broadcast, not supported.