DreamCatcher 3.01 Hardware Features

Will DreamCatcher 3.01 include hardware support for Digital Satellite Equipment Control (DiSEqC™)?

Even if DiSEqC is not initially supported with software, it may later come in handy for locations covered by multiple LNBs (satellites) and re-aiming mobile dishes. It will also help switch LNBs to the proper band Hi or Lo.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

By the way, here are a few references for DiSEqC monitoring:

1. DIY: Simple DiSEqC monitor and signal analyzer
  2. COTS: DiSEqC ™ Analyser
  3. COTS: DiSEqC Monitor

Here are a few references for DiSEqC control:

1. Application Note: Maxim APPLICATION NOTE 5339 Designing a Digital Satellite Equipment Control (DiSEqC)- Compatible Phantom Antenna Power-Supply System
  2. News Article: Designing a digital satellite equipment control (DiSEqC)- compatible phantom antenna power-supply system
  3. Specification / References DISEQC SPECIFICATIONS

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

We will be sticking to the FSS high band, so selecting high and low won’t be necessary.

1 Like

Is that always going to be in your control? Esp. when frequencies are hard to come by?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

By the way, Syed, @Syed will the new Dreamcatcher be able to drive an LNB 500 feet down stream over an RG6 coax as the Lighthouse could? Ken

Ku band frequencies are not at all hard to come by. There are numerous operators all over the world and the price of Ku has been steadily coming down year after year. That’s due to the new Ka-band systems.

@kenbarbi The new receiver does have a dedicated voltage regulator for 13V. But I’m not sure about the maximum length of RG6 that can be used yet.

1 Like

When we’re up, I’ll try it and report back. Thanks, Ken

1 Like

it will be DiSEqC 1.x compatible (13V/18V power and the 22-kHz tone signaling to the LNB)

1 Like

@zoltan It has the components for DiSEqC compatibility, but it’s TBD regarding software support for it.

1 Like

@zoltan @syed @kenbarbi
Thanks for letting me know. This is good news. It’s a good thing that the hardware is there to support switches and positioning motors at a later date for things like switching between satellite bands, or between satellites or positioning antennas on land, sea or air vehicles, etc. These are all software from here, leaving things very open. But that software does not need to be there now.

Here at my Bellevue, WA QTH, RG6 length may be useful to know. I find that the antenna may need to be a ways away from where the receiver is located in order to get a signal from between the trees or hills/mountains.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

I’m in the same situation. Now I know 121W is past my motor’s end stop, so I’ll have add more cable and walk around with a portable LNB to find a sweet spot. Ken

1 Like