Dreamcatcher 3.03 up and running

The lower RSSI is related to the LNB providing less gain from its LNA. The more recent LNB ICs claim around 60 dB. Some older LNBs I’ve seen provide about 50 dB. Some have a one stage LNA others have two.

The LNB is definitely old. I bought the DISH Network antenna and LNB from Radio Shack before 2000. I was notified yesterday that one of the test LNBs has been shipped to me, so will really be interested in seeing the improvement .

After sending my previous post I realized you were commenting on the results from the Winegard RV antenna. That antenna was manufactured in 2012 according to the serial number. So not that old but imagine significant improvements in LNBs even since then.

Jerry – I’ll probably give it another try although I did let it run for a while after that shot and still noticed no locks. Also bitrate, packet rate and audio bitrate all remained at zero. A downside of this antenna is that it is easy to lose position if it is somehow jarred (strong wind, deck vibration where it would be sited). Then the dome would have to be removed and the antenna repositioned. When attached to a Dish Network or Directv receiver the electronics kept it oriented. However very likely can devise a way to mechanically stabilize the antenna once it is accurately positioned. – Richard

Are you able to find the leads from the motors?

With a few parts removed, I think it would be straightforward to identify the leads to both el and az drives. Also see there might be a way to mechanically secure the drive mechanisms and with the dome back on could still rotate the unit horizontally for fine tuning. The real advantage of this Winegard is the dome to protect the Dreamcatcher and any additional electronics. Will try to investigate more thoroughly, howerver the old DishNetwork antenna is doing well and will even look better when the new test LNB is installed.