Dreamcatcher 3.05 - END OF LIFE - $49 clearance price

I am a bit confused by this development. I was under the impression you were pretty much ready to launch based on the dreamcatcher?

Does it really make sense to switch to a new platform at this stage?

The cost of Dreamcatcher is higher than it needs to be in order for a retail product to be successful, especially if the product is meant to sell in emerging markets.

If the software side for the Dreamcatcher is going to be depreciated, is there a way you can put out the source code so some of us can keep our existing Dreamcatchers operational for the foreseeable future?

BTW: I just ordered four DC 3.05’s and I still have three operational DC 3.02/3’s.

Now, the new receiver will only receive data at 2.4GHz? That, seems quite a bit odd.

The Software will be maintaned, so you should be able to keep your DCs on the Othernet Beam.

If you want to use it for something different then Othernet, there is an Armbian Image avaliable already.

The old Receiver also works on 2.4GHz, but it has a converter OnBoard that makes it possible to rx / tx at other Frequencies. That wll be removed on the new one.

This may be a basic question but how will both receivers be able to receive the same beam if the new receiver doesn’t have a converter onboard?
The North America beam is at 12,103 MHz so based on what you said, I am assuming this is being downconverted to 2,400 MHz. How will the new receiver do the same or is it going to be a new beam (and a new LNB?) that is at 2,400 MHz?

The LNB does the conversion the same as it does now, the downconverter on the current Dreamcatcher is not really used for the normal Receiving as far as i know.

So The Sat transmits at ~12ghz, the LNB receives it,downconverts to somewhere near 2400mhz and amplifies it, then the CHip on the DC as well as the new Board can receive it.

@JosephB This is a very good question. The RFFC5072 (mixer/synth) was put on the Dreamcatcher so that any frequency band could be supported. There was a time when I was hunting down capacity on all kinds of different satellites, from VHF up to X band. But the frequency agility comes at a cost; you can see how expensive this component is.

Another reason to include the RFFC5072 is to support the entire Ku-band, from 10.7 - 12.75 GHz. This offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to selecting specific beams, satellites, and operators. But cost is king and the only way to create a media service as pervasive as broadcast radio is by designing receivers that are just as cheap as broadcast radios. For me, the holy grail is a retail price of $20, but we’re nowhere close to that figure right now.

The priority of cost reduction is also why the Allwinner A13 is being replaced with a much less powerful microcontroller, the Espressif ESP32, which handles processing and wifi in one component. It also offers a tiny bit of storage, in the event that a microSD is not available or becomes corrupt.

Returning to your question: The SX1281(basically the same part as the SX1280), has a specified frequency range of 2400 - 2500 MHz. In actuality, the functional range is roughly 2200 - 2700 MHz. Let’s assume that we only use an LO of 9750 from a standard LNB.

9750 + 2400 (standard spec of SX1281) = 12,150 MHz
9750 + 2500 (standard spec of SX1281) = 12,250 MHz

9750 + 2200 (actual range of SX1281) = 11,950 MHz
9750 + 2700 (actual range of SX1281) = 12,450 MHz

Each radio will be tested across the wider range before it is packaged for sale.

The current downlink frequency in Europe is too low, so that frequency will change in the coming weeks.

1 Like

Makes a lot more sense now. Thanks @Tysonpower and @Syed.

The archive link for Armbian is broken on the v3.05 page. Do you happen to have a direct link somewhere for the Armbian image?

I’ll put that up on GitHub tomorrow.

That gives me the skylark image, not Armbian
(Are they the same since some revision?)

Thanks!

sorry that was the wrong link :slight_smile:

Armbian and Skylark and being uploaded to a Software Downloads thread. Should be ready in an hour.

Then, in the future, this will be the official repository of Othernet Software? Ken

Yes, that’s correct.

@WB7ANG Armbian is now there:

Hi Syed am interested in the device that for free internet when login the website it directed me to this forum please direct me to the website where I can buy the device
The website.is Internet.is. The device will provide free net

seems excruciatingly slow coming and we really need this now more than anytime with all the censorship and such that is going on and which will get worse.

I don’t think Othernet will easily solve the problems around censorship in Sudan. Even at a very low price, there is still the issue of importing and distrbuting/selling receivers all over the country.