Dreamcatcher Chat Application

This is the packet tester that I mentioned previously. It is hot off the press; I have not even tested it yet. Abhishek has not even seen the code. This is fully open source software and is not supported by Outernet. Please post any issues directly on the GitHub Issues page.

If you know anyone with a Dreamcatcher 3, please add them to this thread.

Unrelated: Dreamcatcher v3.03 will be available for sale later this evening. The sale price for the first 25 units is $129. The regular price is $149.

2 Likes

@Konrad_Roeder @kenbarbi @maxboysdad

1 Like

@tylerhoot
@ac8dg
@unixpunk
@Gavin_Groce
@clavo
@jimwatt
@thomslik

1 Like

What radio peripherals does Dreamcatcher 3 have?

Can you show the archive link for armbian on the DC board… I can’t find it in the forums…

@Seasalt It has a Semtech SX1281.

@ac8dg We Moved!

I just realized that the chat app is not useful to anyone, since it requires two Dreamcatchers. Though it is possible to receive with an RTLSDR and GNU Radio running gr-lora.

Good reason to buy a v3.03 to place next to my v3.02q. Maybe this app will even work on the V2.0x board?

1 Like

If it’s anything like the RasPI, you can probably get it to TX in the VHF range, right?

scratch that! 2.4Ghz range

1 Like

This might wet your whistle on what the Lora terrestrial possibilities are:

It is “maybe 20 miles”

3 Likes

Can it run uLTE? (Unlicensed Long Term Evolution.)

@ac8dg This will definitely not work with DC2, as that had no tx capability.

@jason_matonis Dreamcatcher is not like a Pi. But we do have an onboard mixer and hardware radio, which offers a frequency range from ~40 MHz to 5 GHz (or more).

@Seasalt No, it is not an LTE device.

So let me get this right. the DC3 will have a transmitter that will transmit a WEAK signal from 40MHZ to 5 g ghz?

What antenna connection will it use?

Is it receive on o one frequency transmit on another or or a mix?

1 Like

does the generation of the outernet dreamcatcher 3 have this onboard unit?

v3.02 and v3.03 are virtually identical and have the same major components.

1 Like

Working here. Painless upgrade. Any news on when the first audio tests will be?

-liam

We should be able to do much more than just 20 miles.

As hams, we need to move quickly to get LoRa used terrestrially as soon as possible on these relatively unused bands:

1240-1300 MHz
2300-2310 MHz
2390-2450 MHz
3300-3500 MHz
5650-5925 MHz
10.0-10.5 GHz

I would love to know how much hardware for transceiving is already on the DreamCatcher 3.03 board.

It would be really nice to have access to a T/R line and a key line. Since LoRa is constant envelope, power amplifiers are not that hard to build. They don’t have to be extremely linear.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

2 Likes

What am I doing wrong? Copied it to SD card. When I run sudo ./autogen.sh, I get the following. Is there a specific location I should put the file? Typically, it shouldn’t matter unless it’s a permissions thing.

Preparing the libsoc build system…please wait

ERROR: Unable to locate GNU Autoconf.

ERROR: To prepare the libsoc build system from scratch,
at least version 2.52 of GNU Autoconf must be installed.

autogen.sh does not need to be run on the same machine that will
run configure or make. Either the GNU Autotools will need to be installed
or upgraded on this system, or autogen.sh must be run on the source
code on another system and then transferred to here. – Cheers!

@Syed
I think what would be useful is a chat/call app that will allow the users that are connected to Dreamcatcher/Lantern Wi-Fi (when the Lantern is released) be able to use and share perhaps things that ware available on Dreamcatcher/Lantern but due to luck of space or otherwise are not there any more but they have them off-line on their phones/PC’s and also perhaps help them collaborate together … lets say if for example someone notices that bad weather is coming he can forward the report to other users connected and warn them …

1 Like

I don’t disagree with what you said for a long-term use case, but I was referring to immediately being able to use it.