Feature request for Lantern

Wifi; N Ad-Hoc wifi mode

Tuner; multi Sat tuning

USB/Eth0: WAN/LAN switch to enable it to download from the internet archive if available via 3G/4G/LTE modem

IPv42IPv6 tunnel if internet service is connected?

Could you please elaborate a bit more on each of the features? How specifically do you expect them to work, how are they activated, etc?

Wifi; N Ad-Hoc wifi mode
BATMAN, or Better Approach To Mobile Adhoc Networking,

Tuner; multi Sat tuning
THose who have dual ku band lnb can use them both to split up the demodulation workload (would that work without adding another pi module?) Or use a second lnb at the same time to point at a second sat as backup if living in an area with multi-sat coverage.

USB/Eth0: WAN/LAN switch to enable it to download from the internet archive if available via 3G/4G/LTE modem
An ability to turn any of the USB or lan por into an internet gateway to download files from the archive on demand from the admin console only.

IPv42IPv6 tunnel if internet service is connected?

I noticed it looks for an IPv6 resolver, does it mean it can be connected to over its port via an ipv6 address on its network if all the devices are in ipv6 mode? or better yet pass over dhcp tasks to a local/global ip (if WAN ports are enabled)

Before I go on to answer each of your points, please keep in mind that our roadmap is based on market demand, so some features will necessarily receive less attention (if at all).

Using WiFi in ad-hoc mode is on the roadmap, but no plans to deliver that feature any time soon.

Interesting. I imagine there would be software issues trying to interpolate the two streams (e.g., resolving conflicts when the same file comes down both tuners), but that’s probably solvable. Not sure how many dual-Ku are currently using Outernet, but there definitely has been mention of using more exotic setups. It would be nice if you (and anyone else with an exotic setup) could chime in, maybe in a separate thread, so we can get more info on what those are and how they work (e.g., what hardware is required, behavior of a normal STB within that setup, etc).

As we are deliberately targeting areas that do not have Internet, this may not become a priority any time soon. Having said that, if we remember a cheap solution that could just work, we may give it a go. As for 3G/4G/LTE, we do intend to support it in near future, for different purposes (monitoring and analytics information requested by a client), so it may open up the door for interesting use cases.

I can’t say I’m an expert in ipv6, so if it seems like it’s working, it’s definitely not intentional. Let me know if you find out more or you run into specific issues with it. (Or better yet, file an issue in our bug tracker.