First Dibs on Dreamcatcher 3

Konrad, That’s my simple experiment for a few days. Maybe a LNA4ALL would help right after the LNBF? The SDR is a FUNcube Pro 2+. I know much better dongles are out there. Got a wide open sky in right direction and a ham radio “try anything” attitude!

I can see what I believe is SES-2 with

[Maverick MK1-PLL]===[Bias Tee@13V]===[RTL-SDR]

While pointed in the right direction. But, I don’t see the Outernet signal as shown in SatSignature.

I still need to check the two pilot carriers (one on Vertical, the other on Horizontal) to verify that I’m seeing the right bird with just the raw LNB.

I have some ideas for my next steps. It gets interesting.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

when is the outernet for sub-Saharan Africa???

Never.
Outernet is only receiving some data. Nothing more.

1 Like

Just correct it, thanks. It’s 11902.4 MHz

@donde I’m not sure an LNA would be useful without the tighter beam width of a higher gain antenna. The issue is not lack of energy being received, it’s co-channel interference.

@Diggity We are focusing on the coverage area that gets about 49 dBW, so if you can fabricate a way to increase SNR, you should be ok.

1 Like

@Diggity Since you are so far out, I would suggest not getting a Dreamcatcher.

1 Like

Gosh, glad you told us! I would have been looking for the needle in the wrong haystack. :upside_down_face:
New SDR frequency: 1152.4 Mhz (for a 10750 IF LNBF)

1 Like

Oh you know I wanna play with it. Let the high-SNR games resume! :wink:

1 Like

Here is an L-Band look at the Outernet signal …

How do I know I’m looking at SES-2 Ku band?
Call sign: S2826
Beacon(s): 11701.0V 12199.0H (951V and 1449H on L-band)

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Has anyone tried scanning SES with a normal FTA TV dish and receiver? IIRC my unit detected it as audio only but labeled it “OUTERNET” when outernet was originally on Ku.

1 Like

Syed,
When do you think there will be coverage in the Middle East? I am working in Saudi and really looking forward to this as I can always use another project in the garage.

Thanks
Steve

1 Like

When do you think there will be coverage in West Africa? I work in Mauritania and I’m really looking forward…

1 Like

Hi Konrad, thank you for your reply. I understand the Dreamcatcher 3.02 is of no use here in EU.
Best regards, René
OZ1KBT

1 Like

@syed - thank you for the info - I understand. :grinning: How long will the old system still be working?
Best regards, René

For

For now…

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Outernet protocol does come with significant process gain. The signal is essentially sending the same information many times. To be specific, the signal’s chirp is sampled many times for every bit sent. This gives the receiver the ability to pick signals up below the noise floor.

I will post some screen captures off of my RTL-SDR. You can’t see the signal without a dish. It’s literally below the noise floor. Stealth signal :wink:

–Konrad, WA4OSH

I’m trying to prepare a case/mount for the v 3.03.
Are dimensions for board and holes the same as v 2.03?
Is access to the switch in the lower left corner needed?
Is thermal cooling needed or can a sealed pelican case be used?
What is the second sma for? Possibly the sx1280 output?

If you mean the L-Band System (Dreamcatcher 2) with “old system” then the answer is it doesen’t work anymore.

I got a signal until early January 2018 here in Germany from the EU Sat (Alphasat-XL). Since then it is shutdown because of the switch to KU Band and the new modulation.

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

From what @Syed said earlier, one input is for a wide-variety of frequencies (L-Band) provides DC bias and connects to the LNB. The other input is an input at 2.4 GHz to the SX1280 RF in.
The output of the SX1280 is a SPI interface. The chip does all the sampling and PHY layer for LoRa (and two more protocols).

–Konrad, WA4OSH