First Dibs on Dreamcatcher 3

Hi everyone,

i saw the discussion about a case and would like to help some of you that get the early version of the new DC.

I designed a 3D printable case for the new DC3 that is not yet final, but i could release the current version if there are people with a 3D printer that will buy a DC3 soon.

The Case should fit great already, but the holes for the IO are larger then they need to be, because i was not able to test the clearance on real Hardware yet of course. The DC including the Display and Speaker do fit inside it, so the LNB has to be mounted outside.

Here are some Renders of it:

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

@Krautz Do you mean, when will we offer the new Ku channel in Europe? The goal is May, but we need to find resellers in Europe first.

We can release the DXF of the v3.03 board. One of the things on my list is to start a proper wiki, which is where the DXF file will be kept. I wouldn’t use the v2.03 as anything but a general reference. And I mean very general. Quite a few things changed with v3.02. And then some minor modifications on v3.03.

We have never required any type of cooling for the board; we’ve had receivers operate continuously in 100F degree weather. But those cases were never sealed NEMA-type enclosures.

Both SMA are for the SX1280; the direct is for 2.4 GHz operations, whereas the LNB port takes in the intermediate frequency from the LNB.

1 Like

Manuel,
It looks gorgeous. I’m good with some coax between the LNB and the receiver. This will allow me to mount it where I have a better view of the satellite.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

well now we have another new satellite in that band at 30Âș W, with 3 coverages in Ku and C and 7 spots in Ka band HISPASAT 30W-6 Mission (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpfrp-GMKKM)

1 Like

I like the satsignature.com spectrum using the 1152.4 mhz from SES-2 showing -66 dbm,
however that is a 3.8 m antenna.
If use a calculator like Parabolic Reflector Antenna Gain Calculator - everything RF
and assume a k eff of 65% at 11.9 GHz then it is providing 51.6 dB gain.

So without the dish we would get -66dbm - 51.6 db or -117.6 dbm (I think simple math works with db units)
that is well below the receiver sensitivity of the sx1280 LoRa using spread factor 7. Unless my math is way off
 I don’t see how this works. Except for the extreme SF like 12.

The LNB has gain over isotropic, about 12 dB or so on its own.
So you need to meet sensitivity plus a bit of margin – 6dB?
So I think in LA they will see -111 dBm with plenty of margin.
SF9?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Screenshot - 11142017 - 06:21:43 PM

How about the Outernet name for the fan cutout? The cut out for air would be either the blue circle or the white circle. Just an idea.
Could be a very small slender fan.

I believe the fan cut out is actually for the speaker.

2 Likes

I believe this is the Outernet signal received with a bare Maverick MK1-PLL, at 1152.4 Mhz (for a 10750 IF LNBF) on SES-2, with a bias tee and a NooElec RTL-SDR dongle. I’m using GQRX on a Linux laptop. All I see is noise. With a dish, I might be able to see something.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

The cutout that you mean is for the Speaker :slight_smile:

Already tryed the Outernet logo, but a circle will not work because it doesen’t have any Support to hold the middle (in this case the Outernet writing) then. I will decide about such things in the final Version :slight_smile:

regards,
Manuel

2 Likes

@Manual - OK, thank you for the info, that was just what I meant ;O)

1 Like

wow looking good !

1 Like

@Syed - thank you for the info. I’m looking forward to test the Outernet when it becomes available to receive in EU - It has great potential. If you need help finding resellers, I will be glad to help you out and spread the “word” when you are ready for launch.

Best regards, Rene

2 Likes

Hi Rene,
What use case can you image for EU? For comparison with US, EU is smaller and densely populated, this means also good cellular coverage.
Just thinking out loud :slight_smile:
Cheers,

1 Like

I meant the swirling fan cuts. Just make cut smaller and replace with Outernet logo circle O. Thanks to Manuel.

“Good celluar coverage” :joy: Did you ever use 02 / Telefonica over here? :yum:

But yeah
it is not so bad that Outernet would be a better alternative for most people.
But in africa it would be nice because of the bad coverage or turkey for censoring reasons that would use the same Beam.

regards,
Manuel

2 Likes

But It Now links went out this evening. We will be shipping out kits as soon as we receive the orders. Please start a new thread with feedback, bugs, and general comments. Thanks!

1 Like