Flashing Dreamcatcher with new firmware - 1.0.5 released 2023-05-30

My connection with my DC has failed for some unknown reason. I’m working to restore it. Ken

Do you mean wifi connection or satellite reception?

At this point, I can not see the DC at all even when connected to the Othernet Wifi. I have powered off my DC, and the lights are not right - solid green on one and NOT blinking on the other indicating downloads. I took the SD card out and it is corrupt - -

I can’t explain this, so I am reformatting my 64 GB micro SD card again as a FAT32, and restarting everything as soon as I get the SD card ready. Ken

Does this fix the wifi password length issue also?

Also on another note you could use cloudflared zero trust with login to provide the password auth but ran in to a issue with trying that with it making some of the request to long and the esp web server cannot Handel those requests

Here’s the re formatted SD card going back into the DC. Ken

Isn’t it’s max size 32 GB? @kenbarbi

@kenbarbi @kenbarbi Yes, maximum SD size is 32 GB and it should be formatted FAT.

Ah ha - - maybe that’s why Jerry and I are loosing connectivity. I’ll make the change and see what happens. Ken

Since I’ve updated I was able to leave it up and running over night, and well into today (I need to check the battery I’ve got it hooked up to it must be getting pretty low.)

But I’ve only seen new files for wikipedia, and news, the “messages” (APRS previously) and “uploads” folder that previously got content aren’t any more… I’d think after 19 hours or so something would have come through. Logs say the files finished I just don’t see them in the files tab…

If it’s a just me issue I’ll chalk it up to bad reception, (about 3% of my packets are CRC errors, so I’d expect some bigger files to not pass a check sum, but aprs should be tiny), or maybe I just need to reformat the SD card (but it seems weird that wikipedia and news are making it through.)

Jon, most of the files being received today are going into new folders in the Files Pull Down - -

into the News and Wikipedia folders like this for today’s news - -

When messages come down, a Messages Folder should be created. Yes it seems slow. Ken

Well, at 2 kbps, I’m not away of any IP-service that is slower. Funny thing, though, we are actually not taking full advantage of the 4 MB daily throughput. Is there anything else that should be added to the queue?

The telemetry reporter at status.othernet.is seems to be stuck.

What do you mean by stuck?

@Syed
@kenbarbi
It has not reported any change for the past 24 hours. I have re-connected my 2301 numerous times to the wifi since the re-flash, and it has downloaded a lot of information and stored it, but the Status page shows no increase after the first 12 packets. Yes, I refreshed the page.

On this forum, because you insisted that the 2301 have a 32 Gb sd card, maximum, I ordered and received a new one. At 8:40PM today, I shut down the 2301 and installed it in place of the 128 Gb card, which seemed to be working fine. Re-started the 2301, and when I checked the unit at 11 PM MST, it had made it to 4376 packets and dropped the wifi connection. I re-connected to wifi again and it made it another 2811 packets and disconnected from wifi. This unit will not stay connected to the wifi. So after digging as much information out of you as we can (it seems that you don’t volunteer much about requirements until squeezed) and following your instructions exactly, we still don’t have an answer as to why this unit will not stay connected to wifi. It seems to do ok with the satellite, still has one light steady and one light flashing. So far, this unit does not seem to pass the acceptability tests.

Are there any upgrades for Dreamcatcher v3.02Q? Thanks.

SD Chip Size I used a 64 GB chip originally because that’s what worked fine in the old Dreamcatcher (DC) Series and had enough space for me to install a Rachel Database. Unfortunalely, I had problems with file corruption in the DC 2301. When I changed to a 32 GB SD chip, all worked fine. But tell us, what does too big an SD card do to the DC. Also, I forgot to ask, does the DC 2301 need an external data card? Based on current storage of what I’m seeing 20 MB of data per day, a 32 GB SD card will last for about 4.5 years before becoming full. Is there an automatic old data cleansing that is taking place in the background?

Lost of Wifi Connectivity Remember the old DC had issues when reconnecting to a router after a power failure (the DC came back sooner than the router and couldn’t get an address - - so became dead in the water). Is it possible Jerry has an IP reassignment issue when the DC periodically reboots? I locked my routers IP assignment to the DC making it manually assigned rather than thru the router DHCP protocol’s automatic IP assignment function. Ken

@maxboysdad Its definitely possible that you have a faulty unit. If so, I’m happy to replace it.

The reason for the 32GB size limit is because the firmware uses the FAT32 file system. FAT32 has some limitations. I could be wrong, but I assumed that SD cards larger than 32GB would cause problems because they use exFAT. Sticking to 32GB SD cards with FAT32 seemed like the safest option.

@kenbarbi There is a bug in the firmware which currently prevents files from being saved on the internal flash. We might have 4 MB of flash available for file storage. Once that bug is fixed, an external SD card will no longer be required. At that time, some type of priority-storage function will be developed.

We are definitely not taking full advantage of the entire daily download capacity. Happy to add additional content sources if anyone has requests. All content must be appropriately licensed, of course.

2 Likes

@Syed
@kenbarbi
The issue I am seeing seems to relate to one that did not ever leave the v3.05 unit, either, but is just manifested a little different way. In the 3.05, once you were logged in to the unit, tuner would only work for a limited amount of time, then quit , although the unit was still running and downloading. On the 3.05, it continued to accumulate files, although you could not adjust the receiver frequency after the tuner stopped, although all the data that was reported by tuner still increased and was shown on the tuner screen as it increased.
This one, however, when it quits, the 2301 appears to still have a connection to the receiving, and appears to be seeing the satellite (green lights acting normally). However, the gui that reports what is going on shows “connection error” and stops reporting anything on the gui. Also noted that since the reflash, there does not seem to be any telemetry going from the 2301 back to wherever that is supposed to accumulate, and the website status.othernet.is no longer shows progress for either my unit, nor Ken’s, which seems to be operating properly.
This unit is mounted in the same place as my old 3.05 was, same wifi environment. It has, like Ken’s, an assigned address on the home system.

Sorry for the bother, but this does not appear to be working correctly.

Also, it appears that in the Wifi arrangement, the 2301 never switches off the Access Point once a client is connected. That means it is not managing the Wifi correctly, and this appears to be an error in the software controlling the wifi. In the 3.05, once the client was specified and connected, you did not see the access point as still being available. You still have not addressed this issue in the forum, as to why it exists.

1 Like

You know, now that you mention it, I’ve seen the red Connection Error message too, but a refresh of my Browser after some time (I’m measuring it now) corrects it.

Maybe there is a built-in time out function? Ken

I would accept a replacement unit and try to work with it. Also would like to see the wifi issue answered as to why the unit does not go to only a client situation, vice still showing a hotspot available after connecting the client. This does not seem to be correct behavior for a wifi transceiver.