Geniatech Outernet Tuner module

Hi all,
I ordered the Outernet receiver kit. Being a long time satellite TV hobbyist I decided that I
wanted to evaluate the Geniatech satellite tuner module by itself before assembling the
complete Outernet receiver. Well… my enthusiasm immediately came to a screeching
halt when I realized that the tuner module installation manual and software were not
included in the kit ! I hadn’t expected that. I then thought to go to the Geniatech web-site
to see if I could find what I needed there. I saw on the site that there are 2 different tuner
modules: SatBox mini - DVB-S and HD Star - DVB -S2 TV Box. Ok can someone tell me
which one comes with the kit ? I know that you don’t support the FTA satellite TV
functionality but without the manual and the accompanying software it’s next to impossible
to use the tuner for it’s designed purpose ! I’m sure there’s got to be others out there like
me. Would it significantly raise the cost to include the manual / software ?
Thanks
p28800

1 Like

Here is a link to the tuner we sell (http://www.geniatech.com/pa/hdstar.asp). This link is in the tuner description in our store, but I realize it’s very easy to overlook. Most individuals purchase the tuner kits in order to build receivers, so we did not order manuals and software to include because we do not want cause confusion. I am sorry you found the reverse confusing, and I hope the link I provided will help guide you in the right direction.

Here is a link to AliExpress, where I ordered mine. Was pretty happy with price/shipping.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GENIATECH-Mygica-HDStar-DVB-S2-TV-Box/699117215.html

Cheers,
Brian

Rachel,

The downlink from the Outernet Sat’s are transmitted in DVB-S format.
So it would be logical that the outernet receiver kit would come with the
Geniatech DVB-S tuner module.The other Geniatech tuner module is
DVB-S2 format which will work fine but if your conscious of cost it’s
more expensive than the DVB-S version. So I’m curious why the
DVB-S2 tuner comes in the kit ?
Thanks
p28800

There is actually one DVB-S2 transponder that is currently active.

Here is a link to the downloadable driver on the Geniatech website: http://www.geniatech.com/file.asp?id=46.

Hi!
I will also order this tuner soon.

But I would like to know are there any plans of using only one power adapter for Pi and tuner?
Maybe modified tuner can be powered from 2 USB 3.0 ports of hub?
Or with 2.5A adapter tuner can power Pi from additional type-B USB?

Thanks.

Thel: I have the tuner from the Outernet store in front of me, and it looks like it uses a 9v wall wart. Since USB is only 5v, I doubt you can power it off of a USB port.

Power requirements of a tuner are probably not going to be met by Pi’s (unfortunately suboptimal) USB hub, so we have no plans to support that.

I’m supplying my outernet system with 12VDC.

My HD star tuner is quite happy working at 12V (so far), and I have used a cheap DC to DC converter to drop the 12V to 5V for the Pi.

People seem to ask about this from time to time. Would you care to write a bit more about it? Maybe a step-by-step or at least some tips for the uninitiated?

No worries. I will write a step by step, and put it on my blog in the next few days.

Done.

Find it here!

1 Like

The contents of the base kit are:
Power supply for Raspberry Pi
Power supply for Geniatech HDStar tuner

This would not only eliminate second power supply, but would also reduce coax length because 1 USB hub can be powered from PoE splitter.
Maybe they can offer custom tuner with additional USB type B power in/out which can be used to power PI or draw current from USB 3.0 hub which also can power Pi?

type A receptacles on host devices that supply power and type B receptacles on target devices that draw power. This is intended to prevent users from accidentally connecting two USB power supplies to each other…On some devices, the Type-B receptacle has no data connections, being used solely for accepting power from the upstream device.

Thanks for the build details, JohnSpace! I was thinking of using a 12v to 5v converter and a 12v to 9v converter for my battery powered setup. I’m actually contemplating whether I want to do an “on grid with battery backup” system, or an “off grid solar” system. Either is fairly easy for me to design and wire up.

Note that some solar panels can go up to 16-17 volts on a particularly sunny day, so it might be wise to add in a buck converter for the tuner as well if you’re doing that.
Also, vehicle power systems in any modern vehicle with the engine running sit somewhere between 14 and 15 volts typically.

1 Like

Hi greg. Glad to be some help.
My workshop currently has a solar micro generation system providing 12V for LED lighting and a 1KW inverter. I’m planning to remove it and convert it to power my Outernet system. It includes a charge controller, which has a regulated 12V output, even if the solar panels are dumping 17V+ into the batteries. It also disconnects the load from the battery if the battery is running low.

Given the time, I could connect it all up now, and be confident of it working, but, the idea of a solar, or wind powered Outernet terminal is greater than this, as users will also need power for their devices.

You might wish to be careful of that - 12v lead acid batteries typically charge best at something around 14.8v input, though most charge controllers are set lower, to 14.2v or so (which is bad for the batteries,but I digress). Even the ‘float’ charge voltage is typically around 13.5v, and a properly charged 12v battery outputs 12.8v.

As an aside, https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/ has a ton of useful detail on that, but for the purposes of this post - almost everything in 12v systems runs higher than 12v. Even if I needed a steady 12v output I’d be looking for a buck converter to regulate things.

I imagine most electronics can handle the extra few volts without issue, but being that you’re pushing the tuner more than it was designed anyway, it might warrant some thought.

I’d love to see/read about the setup once it’s completed!

JohnSpace,

Geniatech HD Star Tuner. Supplied with 9V wall brick (but I didn’t get one so I don’t know its current (A) requirement.)

from some online picture it seems 1.5A

To convert 12V DC to 5V DC for the Pi I used a DC to DC buck converter. These clever little circuits are cheaply found on ebay, and can take a range of input voltages, and provide an output that is set via a small potentiometer

It also would be interesting to test similar circuit which accepts 5V from USB of Pi or hub to 9V. Such converter could be sold with zebra case…

Brian,

I wonder if I can purchase from you the Geniatech installation CD and installation manual ?
( perhaps copies ) I purchased the Outernet receiver kit which didn’t include them.
It’s difficult if not impossible to make the HD Star DVB S-2 work ( as it was designed )
without the installation CD / Manual. The driver software link I got from branko doesn’t cut it !
I’d be more than happy to buy them from you. By the way Aliexpress.com doesn’t carry the
Geneiatech HD Star any longer. Thanks very much.
p28800

Hey, 28800.

I am scanning my HDStar Manual and am going to see how big the CD contents are - I will find a download site where I can put the CD.

My HDStar Tuner crapped out, and I just ordered one from Outernet, since Geniatech doesn’t sell them on Alibaba any longer.

Stay tuned for the locatio where you can download them.

Cheers,
Brian