HDStar on Intel/Linux

EDIT: After further investigation it appears that HDStar is not supported on latest Linux kernels. It does appear to be working at first glance, but it doesn’t really work. We have a patch that can be applied to Linux kernel 4.x which makes HDStar work. Applying it to your system is something you’d have to research on your own, though.

Just a heads-up realted to soon-upcoming Intel (desktop Linux) version of ORx:

HDStar tuner is supported on desktop Linux distros, but only with Linux kernel 4.1 and later (tested with Ubuntu and Arch Linux with kernels 4.1 and 4.2 respectively). I haven’t tested on 4.0 but it may actually work.

If you are eager to try out the new Intel version, please be sure your tuner works with your desktop. Simple test is to plug it in and make sure /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 appears in your filesystem. Post here if you are having issues getting your tuner up and running.

As for other tuners, PCTV tuner should work with kernels 3.19.x and later, but you may need firmware files. Also, basically any well-behaved LinuxTV-API-compatible tuner should work. Check LinuxTV wiki which may give you information on where to find firmware files for your particular tuner and whether it is supported.

this is not publicity but

i use the tbs 6925 on linux, most of this have linux driver http://www.tbsdtv.com/ :smiley:

im gona try

I have this one: http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs5922se-dvb-s2-tv-tuner-usb-box.html

Be careful not to cut your fingers, tho. The metal case isn’t exactly subtle. :smile:

Branko,
many thanks for the new orx-86 system.
I have running only a CentOS-7 64 bit system. After download your tarball, I made some tries:

• installed the prerequisite packages manually, compiled, if havenot precompiled (sqlite3)
  • modified a little the config script, and run it.
    Start the make… it made majority of the things.
    If I start the Librarian, it working, and offer the Setup web page. Filling it, the Librarian start.
    About the reciver:
    I have only a PCTV device. The CentOS recognized on usb level. I downloaded the demod firmware, and put it in /lib/firmware
    It seems, need to load the moudules manually, make the ./dev entries, but in this moment I dont know this procedures in details.
    Or maybe I need a HDStar receiver?
    In the system log there is this messages;
    ============
    Error !
    AttributeError: Attribute ‘session’ not defined.
% for mi in menu_group('main'): ${mi} % endfor
Site menu /usr/bin/bottle.py, line 1391: raise AttributeError('Attribute %r not defined.' % name) /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/librarian/utils/notifications.py, line 328: key = 'notification_count_{0}'.format(request.session.id) /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/librarian/menu/notifications.py, line 23: self.unread_count = get_notification_count() /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/librarian/menu/__init__.py, line 106: yield item() /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/librarian/views/base.tpl, line 38: % for mi in menu_group('main'): /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/librarian/views/base.tpl, line 14: <%block name="extra_head"/> /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mako/runtime.py, line 853: callable_(context, *args, **kwargs)

tjanos

Oh, I see now, this CentOS is too conservative:
[root@localhost Downloads]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 3.10.0-123.13.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 14:09:13 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

maybe, havenot the kernel modules for PCTV receiver…

The ondd daemon start, but, ofcourse havenot config file (dont access to the receiver /dev intrerfaces):
[root@localhost Downloads]# ondd
20:23:40.631 [main] Unable to load config: /etc/ondd.conf (null)
20:23:40.641 [main] v2.0.0
20:23:40.716 [main] thread exception: open( /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ) failed: (2) No such file or directory

t.janos

PCTV works since 3.19.x I believe, and HDStar is even more picky, and works from 4.x onwards. I suggest trying with Ubuntu on USB stick or something like that. I can try modifying the installer for CentOS, but I know very little about the system, so it will take a while, and you still won’t be able to use the tuner on it without a new kernel.

TBS makes very high quality products. And they generally support Linux right out of the box. Please keep us posted on the results of your test.