Hello, community!

Hello,

I’m new to the outernet, and wanted to say hi and hopefully get some clarification on how things work/what to do next.

I had some questions about how the service works and how the company can launch all these satellites offer the service for free and still make money and be successful.

It also appears to me that outernet has not launched their Network of satellites yet? That they are renting bandwidth on existing satellites? This too is pretty expensive. Other than selling the hardware(which I didn’t think would be enough to pay for all the space they rent) how does the company generate revenue and keep the service active?

This made me believe that entities who want their content provided on the outernet must pay to be included in the ‘library’?

I’m sure I will have many more questions, but perhaps this is a good place to stop for now.

Excited to get to know the offering and community more.

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome!

There is no satellite launching involved. Outernet rents a Single Channel Per Carrier service on Ku-band satellites. They sell the hardware to receive this SCPC signal. Part of the hardware price includes paying for the satellite service. As the service matures, your receiver may need to be updated or replaced.

The content that’s provided is public domain, non-commercial or royalty-free.

Again, welcome and ask questions you have in the forum. Consider buying a DreamCatcher 3.0 when they become available (very soon).

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Thanks for the information!

I had read that the platform was to be provided on many low-orbiting micro satellites, is that not the case anymore?

In regards to content, how does content make it’s way into the ‘library’. I haven’t done too much digging into hardware requirements yet, but from what I understand user terminals receive only, which is that they will simply begin to download the ‘library’ once connected? If that’s correct, what is the size of the library?

Thanks again!

It was always Geostationary satellites.

A large part of the library may be distributed with the product. I’m not sure if this is a feature that will be in DC 3.0

Updates are sent a couple of times. If everything checksums, the file is added to the file store.

–Konrad, WA4OSH