Hotfix firmware 3.1 for ORx and Lighthouse

Sorry, totally slipped my mind. Please follow these steps:

1. Copy the latest 3.1 .pkg file to an USB stick, but rename it to test.pkg so it does not execute automatically.
  2. Remove any external storages you may have
  3. Plug the stick in
  4. Log in via SSH
  5. Run sudo /mnt/external/test.pkg
  6. Copy the output to a file and post it here

Without powering down - - mission accomplished. Lighthouse automatically rebooted and now Lighthouse shows Version 3.1 I hope you see what was causing the OTA reboot not to work. Ken

Using username ā€œouternetā€.
[email protected]ā€™s password:
outernet@outernetrx:~$ sudo /mnt/external/test.pkg
Password:
extracting run.sh to /tmp//run.sh
extracting pre-install.sh to /tmp/pre-install.sh
mv: canā€™t rename ā€˜/mnt/persist/config.xmlā€™: No such file or directory
flashing kernel.img to /dev/mtd1 ā€¦
checking /dev/mtd1 ā€¦
flashing kernel.img to /dev/mtd0 ā€¦
checking /dev/mtd0 ā€¦
writing rootfs.ubifs to ubi volume rootfs
installer.sh: Installation complete
outernet@outernetrx:~$

Glad it worked, tho that doesnā€™t tell us how the OTA update failed to begin with. Weā€™ll look into it further when we start adding the OTA update capability to Lantern firmware.

Thanks, Branko.

By the way - - the new MP4 files (such as the group on Magnetism) play AUDIO-only on my H.264 capable Chrome Browser, where as the new Arabic MP4s play both Video and Audio. I think this has been mentioned before. Ken

Plays because of it has following codecs,
Video: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc 1)
Audio: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

Some files only plays Audio because they encoded with codecs,
Video: Motion JPEG Video (jpeg)
Audio: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

Ifyou download this file and open with VLC Player locally, you can see a start image throughout the video with full audio.

1 Like

Yes, I downloaded VLC Player, Pradeeka, and was able to get the Audio and a Video start up screen - - but no motion.

That said, if a Lighthouse viewer is not able to connect to the internet to get the VLC Player, they are not going to benefit from the downloads. Iā€™m a strong believer in ā€œlowest common denominatorā€ type files for the best results with Outernetā€™s target audience. Iā€™m sure you would agree we are typical audiences.

Ken

2 Likes

Oops - - I mean NOT TYPICAL AUDIENCES :confused: Ken

We are stretched a bit thin these days so we just donā€™t get around to fixing all the issues in a timely manner. We still thank you for reporting those. It means a lot to have eyes on things we donā€™t get around to!