Is there a terrestrial version of this running?

Thanks Syed. I suppose I am thinking whether we can use the technology to “broadcast” to wifi devices in a small town, a single point covering say 5-10km in radius. This would help us increase our penetration to rural areas. But of course, this is quite different than the Outernet model, but I was wondering if the same technology could be used. We have the Sarawak state elections coming up in 2016 and most of the state is quite rural. If this distracts from the original goal, no worries, but I think the idea you put forward is quite interesting.

I am leading the Terrestrial Version and would also like to discuss the project with you. Would like to see what benefits we both can gain by working together toward the same end-goals.
Will PM you.

The data equivalent of Radio Free America is exactly what I had in mind. Just because it’s propaganda, does not imply that it’s false; some cultures truly are better than others. If you prefer, think of it as Radio Free Modern Free-ish Societies in General.

There are a number of HAM operators globally who’re using computer assisted I/O. It’s entirely viable that some frequencies may be entirely dedicated to two-way communication (instead of just broadcast) and browser based modules could be developed for HAM’s to operate and create a terrestrial network. Also, in urban areas, it may become possible to engage smart P2P applications which re-distribute content and comms.