L-Band DIY Tuner Kit configeration issues

Outernet is En-riching the Philippines from Space. Pretty Groovey.

This is just awesome. one Mb per hour from Space is amazing.

Outernet has delivered on their promise, and I look forward to being involved in the future.

My 10 year ago Worldspace L-Band Receiver would receive satellite audio laying dead flat.

I am getting a 7-8 db signal with the Outernet commercial Antenna laying about a inch off flat.

I think with the Inmarsat Satellite over New Guinea I can probably get away with my antenna being flat here in the Philippines.

What is the minimum signal strength to receive?

Will it work in a car driving around?

Do you have a design for a omni directional / helical antenna?

Will you be selling a Omni directional Helical antenna?

PS Please give my regards to your amazing team. I think you all know what you are achieving.

We are working on putting my power into the link, but for now, we’re stuck at 18dBW. With a few more dBW, I’m sure you could lay it down flat–and the antenna could be a ceramic patch (retuned GPS antenna).

If you have a 2dB of SNR, the demod will do its job, but the symbol error rate and packet loss will be very high. To receive packets reliably, you’ll need 3-4 dB of SNR.

I doubt it will work in a car, but we haven’t tested that yet.

The next design is going to be based on a ceramic patch, since that will considerably reduce the cost and size of the entire receiver. Our colleague Zoltan made a 6-turn helical that worked really well. I’ll ask him to upload what he did. In the meantime, here are some old designs we were working on.

If there is enough customer demand, we will definitely consider it. But it may be better for people to make it themselves. But it won’t be omnidirectional, as anything that provides ~6dBi of gain is directional.

Thanks for the compliment. It’s been a tough road. Still a lot of work left to do, but at least we are currently doing exactly as we said we would (though we are a little behind schedule).

1 Like