Librarian v0.1b2 released

I’m pleased to announce the availability of second beta release of Librarian, Outernet content library manager.

The changes include:

• Full Python 2.7 compatibility
  • High-performance asynchronous bjoern web server as default (Python 3.4 is not supported when using bjoern, though)
  • Improved and modernized user interface
  • Ability to tag content and list tagged content
  • Ability to remove individual content from the library
  • Easier access to TVHeadend from dashboard
  • Updated translations

Updating by reinstalling

Because this update is non-trivial, I recommend installing from scratch. To back up existing data you need to copy off your Pi the following:

• /var/lib/outernet/archive.sqlite
  • /var/spool/downloads/ (entire directory tree under this directory)
  • /srv/zipballs/*.zip
  • /var/lib/ondd/ondd.db

You can use FileZilla or similar programs that support SFTP to download the files. Once the system is reinstalled, restore these files to their original locations before you tune in.

Updating with new ORx install script

You may use the new ORx script to update an existing receiver. While this hasn’t been tested, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You may want to back up any data just in case, though as described in the previous section.

After the ORx script is done, you may also want to remove the old version of Librarian by running:

# Arch ARM
pip uninstall librarian

# Raspbian
pip3 uninstall librarian

Updating manually

Because of the major changes in dependencies, you will not be able to upgrade simply be installing the new Librarian package as before. For those who still want to try, here are some instructions:

Arch ARM

pacman -S python2 python2-pip libev
sed -i 's|bin/python|bin/python2|' /etc/systemd/system/librarian.conf
pip2 install http://outernet-project.github.io/orx-install/librarian-0.1b2.tar.gz
pip uninstall libarian

Raspbian

apt-get install python2.7 python2.7-dev python2-setuptools libev-dev libev4
sed -i 's|bin/python3|bin/python|' /etc/init.d/librarian
easy_install pip
pip install http://outernet-project.github.io/orx-install/librarian-0.1b2.tar.gz
pip3 uninstall librarian

ORx images

We have created disk images of Arch-ARM- and Rasbian-based ORx SD cards. These images are currently created from 8GB cards, so you will need an 8GB or larger card. There are currently no scripts included for resizing the partitions. Instructions are here.

3 Likes

I’ve updated the ORx images section with details about the card images. More here.