REVISED New Puzzling Results
(I’m editing this post on 2 Dec to fix an error in measurement I made should someone else read it and wonder what’s going on)
Dreamcatcher connected to Maverick MK1-PLL at base of 80 cm offset dish -
gave an SNR of +9.25 dB and RSSI of - 60 dBm with lock. The Maverick has a spec gain of 60 dB and .5 dB noise figure.
Dreamcatcher connected to FTA Invacom QPH-031 at base of 80 cm offset dish -
gave an SNR of +9.25 dB and RSSI of -65 dBm with lock. My FTA Invacom Quad Polar LNB QPH-31 has a spec gain of 55 dB with a .3 dB noise figure.
I checked my portable (it has a different Dreamcatcher board and Maverick LNB) with just a bare LNB and received an SNR of -11.5 dB with an RSSI of -75 dBm. With my cone cup extended, my SNR went up to -9.5 with an RSSI of -75 dBm.
Inside 500 feet away no longer a puzzle
With the Maverick installed on my 80 cm offset dish outside 500 feet away, I had lock with an SNR of + 5 dB and and RSSI of -95 dBm. With the FTA Invacom LNB my SNR was +3.25 dB with an RSSI of -99 dBm. In both cases, I did not have a DiSEqC or motor drive in the circuit.
I can now account for the RSSI signal drop and reduced SNR due to cable loss from locating the Dreamcatcher 500 feet away inside.
PS I hope I haven’t confused too many people.