Malfunction of my Dreamcatcher

I’ll buy a power adapter for the Rapberry PI. But maybe you can add a voltage test (z-diode?) to the next version of the Dreamcatcher.

You need to press the button for 10 seconds to shut down.

Thats for a “hard shutdown” - same as on PCs. For a normal shutdown, just a momentary press works - it takes a few seconds to properly shutdown though.

A momentary press never did anything for me. I will try again the next time I need to shutdown.

I have now bought a power supply for the Raspberry PI and hope that the Dreamcatcher runs more stable. The Dreamcatcher has now survived a simulated power outage well.
@kenbarbi Can you include a reference to the Raspberry PI power supply in your documentary? Thanks

The Power Button probably only works if the system is running properly. The function of the power button in case of error is unclear. This is a major obstacle to troubleshooting.

@kenbarbi
@Abhishek

Dreamcatcher V 3.05 SL 5.7 User Manual.pdf

User’s Guide to Setting Up and Using Othernet
Dreamcatcher v3.05 With Skylark 5.7 (November 17, 2019) by
Forum Member Ken Barbi @kenbarbi

See Annex B, Page 30.

“A reliable power option is to use a Raspberry Pi power supply which has a larger tolerance for low
voltage from the usb cable (it just throttles itself). Dreamcatcher browns out when there’s low voltage -
and the main cause of DC not working normally is bad power.”

2 Likes

1 Like

After a test with an ethernet dongle the dreamcatcher had a malfunction again. Only after numerous attempts (switch off, switch on, pull out the plug, …) did it work again. It would be nice if the Dreamcatcher was more robust.

Now I wanted to write a file to the second sd card. To do this I pressed the power button and waited until the LEDs were off. Then I took out the sd card and wrote the file to the card. After I put the sd card back in, I pressed the power button again. But the malfunction described above happened again. Let’s see what I have to try again to get the Dreamcatcher working again. This has nothing to do with a stable system! :frowning:

A power button should shut down a system properly and not bring it into an undefined state!

After numerous unsuccessful attempts with the power button and the PB1 button I formatted the sd card with the OS again and played the image on it again. Now it works again. But actually I wanted to do something else. :angry:

I noticed something else. No news from this year were saved on the external sd card.
When exactly should they be copied?
On shutdown or on startup?
Is there an error routine for errors on the external sd card?
Can you start this copy job manually to see possible error messages?

Maybe my external sd card is not ok. Files FSCK0000.REC … FSCK0008.REC were created.

Did you remove and re-insert the SD card while the Dreamcatcher was running? Perhaps @Abhishek or @Syed would comment here?

No, I didn’t do that. I did it the way I described it.

I repeat my questions:
When exactly should they be copied?
On shutdown or on startup?

I would ask you to answer these questions so that we can narrow down the error.

Good question… the folders on my secondary sd don’t seem to get a regular cron type mirroring. I assume it is occurring “once” when the sd is inserted or recognized… but some clarification is needed.

I have problems writing files to the sd using my windows pc file manager… then ending with a corrupt sd that the rxos board can not read… I blame it on the windows caching the sd card write process.

Then I’m not the only one with this problem. It would not be the first time that Windows is the problem. :wink:

I will repartition and format the external sd card. I will copy files to the external sd only via SCP.

But why Skylark crashes when the external sd card fails should definitely be checked. An error routine is necessary. It should give a clear error message.

Let me add my memory card woes, First 32GB memory SD secondary card for the dream catcher was new and for what ever reason would not format past 300MB, it was quickly discarded.
Second card was a 32GB that my windows 10 machine liked, reformated to 32GB,and so far no problems.
Due to several data losses I have a rule as a programmer never pull a memory card out of a windows 10 machine unless it has been shut down.

1 Like

I always use the “safely remove hardware and eject media” feature with sd cards. Never had an issue.

(I always use the “safely remove hardware and eject media” feature with sd cards too. )

I have reformatted my external sd card (120GByte) and put it into the Dreamcatcher. The Dreamcatcher booted this time without problems. After the boot process the directory structure was created and the files were copied. The question of when the files are copied to the external sd card I have and had to answer myself.

The following questions come to mind here:
Did these problems not show up in the test scenarios?
Wouldn’t EXT4 instead of FAT32 be the better file system for the sd card?
Why do many answers here contain “maybe” or “possibly”?
Why many questions not answered here?

I repeat my unanswered questions:

The only person that can really answer those questions is @Abhishek.

The external card is supposed to be fat32, and the files are copied on boot or when the card is removed and reinserted (whenever mounted basically).

Uh! Only one person knows the system?
Where is the documentation for the system?