MicroSD Memory Size for v3.02q

Just checking to see if I have the proper MicroSD’s for the v3.02q Dreamcatcher. Apparently, the manual on the purchase page mentions a 32gb MicroSD card, but will a 64gb card work? Will the 64gb of memory be useable (- overhead)? I’m just one of those folks that hates to wait for additional parts to arrive after I have the main system in hand.

Are there any particular microSD cards that are recommended?

Thanks!

no, 64GB will not work, its not supported by the hardware. Best choice is 16GB. I personally use Strontium brand microSD cards, but they are a bit overpriced.

There isn’t much point in using something much larger - the internal storage is regularly cleaned of old files by the OS automatically.

1 Like

Thank you very much Abhishek. 16gb will save me a bit of money, and I will easily afford a couple of the smaller cards.

1 Like

Will have to verify if the 64GB that I am using in the memory slot is working.

Concur with @Abhishek I use a SanDisk 16 GB in the OS slot too, and a SanDisk 32 GB in the data slot so I can load the 32 GB Rachel data base and have room left over for transferred Skylark files that periodically get written there. You don’t have to buy a top of the line SanDisk either - - just a standard speed one works great. Ken

1 Like

I bet your 64 GB SD card is an SDXC card, it may or may not be compatible with the DreamCatcher 3.02.

Because SDXC uses a different file system called exFAT and it works differently than standard SD cards, this new format is NOT backwards compatible with host devices that only take SD (128MB to 2GB) or host devices that only take SDHC (4GB to 32GB).

The hardware may not be able to that SDXC card.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

It works!

outernet 64GB_1
outernet 64GB_2outernet 64GB_3

…and in both 32 GB halves of it? Grrreat. That means we might be able to store the entire Rachel package on the storage side of the DreamCatcher. I was not ready to D/L such a huge file and p…s off my ISP until I knew it could be done.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

can you please check what the partition size is?

1 Like

Will do when I get home. Had to pick a child up from afterschool sports. It was a brand new card from’Sam’s club. All I did was take it out of the package and put it in the DC.

1 Like

ok. so atleast that means the DATA card (SD2) can be quite large. Might be worth testing the same card as the OS card (SD0).

1 Like

@Abhishek would it be possable to have the os deside when to clean up via looking at avaible freespace?

1 Like

it does something like that. For regular feeds like Weather, News etc - stuff thats on a schedule - the OS cleans out older stuff (normally a week old) - this is done as otherwise the corresponding apps can get really bogged down keeping track of hundreds/thousands of files.

For other stuff - like Wikipedia, community content, stuff is deleted only if theres too little free space left on card.

the news would be the only cool thing to have a button for a said article you wanted to keep so you can tell it to protect a certain article

I will look into adding a button to the app where the currently open article can be downloaded to the users browser.

Skylark itself is not designed around storage of such personal information (like a list of protected articles for a user) - so best approach here would be to just download chosen articles.

that would still be cool to be able to Download it or another idea ontop of this one is to allow the skylark board for when its connected to networks is allow it to connect to ftp servers to push old data too instead of deleting the news and other content or the ability to tell it what to backup to the offsite ftp sever device like a nas

the backup-to-usb/sd2 feature does allow backup of everything. the backup is created before files are cleaned, so ensures everything gets backed-up.

outernet 64GB_4

2 Likes

thanks. When you have time, it’s worth trying out the same card as the OS card.

The wife is in town, I will have her pick up another SD card from Sam’s. Here’s a pic of the card I am using if anyone else would like to try.