News and Views Sources

No arguments here, though we would like to see it deployed across a bunch of schools of it is getting a bunch of daily data.

Internet only news sources rarely have the budget to employ resources that allow gathering of well-rounded news and rarely present such with a detached, objective flavor. They tend to have obvious bias and agendas that are intentionally anti-establishment for the sake of such. Just like the “Big Guys” but meaner. Just my observation.

As was noted above, however, you can’t trust the “Big Guys” at all. Just look at the trash and rehash that are made headlines today across everyone from Fox to CNBC, and the wire news is just a rehash of the same politically driven drivel.

All of that being said, IMO, to craft a well rounded Outernet News Service would require an editor or more to cull out the propaganda across all the services and concentrate on the useful information and compelling stories.

The Outernet target audience, if it is truly the residents of areas with little or no internet or other delivery methods, are essentially a quite small audience, unlike anyone the big broadcast, cable and internet media attempts to entertain. These are people who are possibly hungry for news, but news and instructional or social content that is of interest and impact to them.

@neil
someone has been using “dorking” a bit I see :wink:

For many. many years :slight_smile:
I remember “johnny-i-hack” :slight_smile:

That was a while ago! Let me tell you how old I am lol
I still remember the cDc. (cult of the dead cow).
You still an active pentester?

no… I deny everything - including the cDc!
:slight_smile:

@Abhishek So this is new?

Jan 22 22:13:59 skylark user.info ondd[31946]: [carousel] completed: opaks/d1f0-news-pack.2017-01-22_2043.tbz2

From what I can tell, this is a bunch of news packed in to one file. Smart move :clap: I bet you are able to get better compression ratios. I’m curious, are you guys using the maximum compression with bzip2 (-9) or just default(-5)? Have you tested if lzma gets better compression ratios or not?

Oh and I have a few friends that speak Mandarin, I’ll ask them about news sources.

1 Like

I did test a bunch of variations on the compression. Bzip2, surprisingly enough, came on top as far as speed+ram+compression ratio was concerned.

(and remember that the limiting factor is extraction on the receive side - theres limited CPU and RAM resources at the receiver, so using extreme compression - xz being a prime example - is not viable)

The news packs (and that is part of the reason why the carousels were messed up over the weekend) weren’t just about compression, though of course that helps. With the large flux of news articles, there was too much activity on the carousel - over 1000 individual files! That meant a LOT of overhead, and hour-long carousal rebuilds. With more sources in the pipeline, it was time to switch to packs. You are the first one to notice :wink:

Hello @Abhishek

Could you review for us how old News is removed from out systems? I ask that because there is a bogus BBC Hindi News Folder that got out up on 16 - 18 Jan that doesn’t render correctly

Also, apparently you changed the name on EurekAlert! - Breaking News inputs which created a new folder called EurekAlert - Breaking News

I was hoping I could use my FTP Program to delete the folders, but it is not apparent where they are

Ken

sorry, News cleanup was faulty in the Skylark 1.0, its fixed in the upcoming OTA.

Yes, there were some changes in the naming - You spotted the two - Hindi and EurekAlert - theres also Science Bulletin.

It seems your ftp program has trouble with long names and unicode. Or possibly you are using a version of windows that has problems with it. But the idea was workable, you should have been able to delete the files via ftp. The location is correct.

You can do the same thing from the Skylark Filemanager. Open the “News” folder and select the files you want to delete (hold down Shift to select multiple at the same time). Then from the menu select “delete”.

edit: Filezilla on Linux seems to display the names correctly - maybe try the same on Windows?

I did get permisssion for Outernet to use http://bowenpress.com/

Could you ask if it’s well regarded? It’s part of the Boxun group, but less user-generated.

The Skylark File Manager approached worked fine. After I selected and deleted all the bogus files, the bogus directory also went away. Good thing I didn’t have hundreds of files :blush:

Thanks, Ken

I know what you are doing is a bit difficult, but it is an EXCELLENT IDEA.

Finding a Wikipedia article explaining the background on current news as you did with the Trans Pacific Partnership, and putting it at the TOP of the Wikipedia list.

What do you all think of this? Ken

I am seeing a Chinese language source that the browser cannot render
You can see it renders some of the unicode (Titles) but most of it seems mangled

Those who can read it probably won’t have that problem.

thanks. bad encoding on the source site - they meta tag it utf-8 but its not really. This is a common problem. Hence the slow progress in other languages sources.

1 Like

I doubt that :slight_smile:
It will look the same to everyone (if it was missing fonts it would look different to this)
(and I can read some of it LOL!)

Usually browsers have “autodetection” mechanisms to work around incorrect character set indications
and these can work in different modes. A user in a country with such a character set will often have
their browser configured so that this alphabet soup is rendered in their correct local character set.

I understand that :wink:
I used to live in SE Asia.
Note that the heading is rendered correctly by the Unicode ( it says something like “politics channel” ) , but the body text is not… that is weird

Can anybody read the articles?? Ken