No internet despite good connection

We have always struggled with describing what we do. The name is meant to imply a network that exists on the outskirts, as well as having a core component in outer space.

We have gone through at least a dozen short descriptions and it seems that nothing is perfect. I was hoping that “packet radio” would do a better job of conveying the message, but who knows.

At $100 for a receiver, we are clearly not doing a good job of delivering a product for those who are unable to access/afford the internet. But that $100 receiver allows us to steadily work towards a $9 receiver; a library in every pocket.

That’ts the best and one of the few i like from your slogans :slight_smile:

That slogan should be on the Outernet.is xD

@Syed $100 is not that bad. Think about what a phone tower or any kind of cable costs, the price is not that bad.

to k5ted yes that was the commercial I saw. If you translate the title of video to english it would say: Get free internet over satellite

enough said about this topic. I have decided to return this product thx for every except for Tysonpower. You are a classic troll. This a description of the type of troll you are

“This type of troll loves a good argument. They can take a great, thoroughly researched and fact-based piece of content, and come at it from all opposing discussion angles to challenge its message. They believe they’re right, and everyone else is wrong. You’ll often also find them leaving long threads or arguments with other commenters in community comment sections, and they’re always determined to have the last word – continuing to comment until that other user gives up.”
https://www.lifewire.com/types-of-internet-trolls-3485894

If you reply to this then it further proves that you are a troll " they’re always determined to have the last word – continuing to comment until that other user gives up."

I Win, not so stupid now EH!?

I respond to your post, because i will not accept to be named a “Troll” from someone that was to stupid (including his friends) to find out that Outernet is NOT Internet.

Lot’s of users on the Outernet forum (including @Syed ) can confirm that i’m not a troll by any means. I helped many people and discussed a lot of topics around Outernet. I also created a 3D printable case for the DIY Kit and so on. Just take a look at my profile page to see my stats (over 150 posts, 5 threads and i received 44 likes) and all post that i made.

As an example a compareable topic to this thread: We Moved!

PS: That…[quote=“Heman90210, post:23, topic:3509”]
If you reply to this then it further proves that you are
[/quote]
…is how a 10 year old would argument.

EDIT:

nah…you don’t Win.

Hmmmm, is this “aggressive know it all, I’m better and smarter then you” tone to someone who obviously bought in on the hyped up stories scattered around on the internet really helpful?

When you search Google on Outernet, a lot of the results talk about a “free internet for all” utopia that the Outernet startup is going to deliver somewhere in the future.

Anyway is calling this guy plus his family and friends “stupid” doesn’t help to correct this misconception. I think Outernet is about information and not about burning someone who asked the “wrong question”. And in fact I find the guy asking the “Stupid question” the only same person in this whole discussion…

That video title is a perfect example of the clueless “tech review” sites I described above.

“I get free internet via satellite today I share what we were waiting for, and it’s free via satellite, like the Facebook and Google project. Otrenet, which is a lot of talk in 2014 if you remember and the free internet”

If you watch the video, it’s clear the dongle is a receiver only.

How is your failure to comprehend the obvious the fault of Outernet, Syed, or anyone associated with this project?

And, why not play with your kit for a while and get in the groove? By participating, help develop Outernet into something great for developing countries, instead of whining about your $79 or whatever, which would have been enough to feed a family of 8 in a developing nation for a couple of months or more, but you spent because you wanted a free way to watch cat videos.

Sorry again for my rage, but i replied to twenty or more people that Outernet is not the Internet and so on.
As mentioned before, i am just very confused that so many people don’t read on the website.

But it seems that the media is doing it’s best to confuse people about Outernet :disappointed:

The first post was clearly not addressed to @Heman90210 [quote=“Tysonpower, post:8, topic:3509”]
I also don’t understand why all these people are to stupid to understand that OUTERNET ist not INTERNET.
[/quote]

@k5ted That’s the point, it’s his own fault and not the one of anyone else. But anyway, the “Just play and enjoy” Idea is grat. @Heman90210 you will like Outernet in the long run :slight_smile: And it’s much better than Cat Videos :wink:

New Slogan: OUTERNET - Even better than Cat videos

Heman,

It is unfortunate the communication on this thread has not been ideal from both sides. Clearly at this point you hopefully understand this provides Internet content that is nearly real-time for locations that do not have Internet access at all.

Please take a look at this: http://outernet.kf4hzu.net

This Outernet receiver, like the one you purchased, has been receiving from the satellite for a few months. It has currently been online for 28 days continuously.

You can see there is a lot of content available including Twitter feed, news, weather etc. I can even send a tweet on Twitter right now to request a URL from the Internet and it will be sent out over the worldwide satellite coverage that feeds Outernet. This is all provided for free with the only cost being the receiver equipment one time charge. However, Outernet (the company) pays a monthly fee to the satellite provider.

I hope you use the above link to see that Internet content is available on the receiver, just not in real time.

I was going to leave this along, but so much has been said that I feel I must concluded this topic

Thank you all for your comments and time you took to write your opinion. However, I feel that some of the users are very defensive about this outernet thing. I felt misinformed, but instead of being helpful they twist the blame to me. How is that helpful? Maybe I am to blame, but you don’t need to insult my intelligence to make your point

Speaking of intelligence, calling me stupid I might tolerate. Insult my friends and family is crossing the line. I will not be bullied! Don’t care if you are experienced on this forum or not, you are not helpful and I will not be bullied troll. I hope your having as good a day as you have made mine😉

I hope

Er pour tous les francophones la meme chose :slight_smile:

For the English speaking part of The world
And for the french speaking People all the same.

Fact: I never said something about your family xD

Also is the word Stupid not that bad. Friends can often be a little bit crazy, foolish or rediculous. In that sense your decision to buy Outernet without being sure that it provides Internet (or not) was unreasonable.

Stupid can also be used for all the words that are bold above. I think it’s not an insulting word at all.

Have a nice day and play with your DIY KIt. You will like it even without the Cat Videos :wink:

regards from Germany,
where the word stupid (unreasonable = “unvernünftig”) is not an insult by any means.

Well, you have been misinformed, but not by the people of Outernet and not by any of us, the users.
So I suggest that you complain to the people that misinformed you.
Only when they receive complaints, they could decide to remove the misinformation and avoid that
others like you walk in the same trap.

2 Likes

Great. How did you manage to put the receiver online and how did you created users and permissions to the apps on the receiver.
I’ve tried once to connect my DYI receiver to my wireless network, and I ended-up re-flashing the device to make the wireless module work again.
Thanks a lot.

The users and permissions were all setup in the default code by @Abhishek so all I did there is change the default password for the outernet user and left the guest user alone.

As for connecting it, I just had to put my SSID and password in to the wifi settings and change the mode to client. Worked right away. The rest was just basic router port forwarding and DHCP lease reservation.

1 Like

@pbnet Same here. I just put in the SSID and Password. After that the CHIP connected to my wifi network and was online in seconds. Now i can access it all over my lan and over vpn.

1 Like