ORxPi v0.2.7 released

Here’s a picture from my TV monitor of the Raspberry Pi boot up:

Ken

I should have said the previous screen reflects the ORxPiv0.2.4

Following is a screen picture of the ORxPiv0.2.7 boot up.

I can’t get past the last line of the boot up routine. I have made an image on an 8 Gbit and 64 Gbit SD chip and they both perform the same. Ken

From your screen picture it can see the last messages of the init process and the login prompt.
It seems me, your ethernet interface dont come up, and havenot configure. This is the message, referred to this:
–> …eth0:hardware isnot capable of remote wakeaup
Starting udhcp daemon, but dont find server on the ethernet and finally gave up:
–> ifplugd: FAIL
But the wlan interface have configuration… I dont know is it correct or not. This message reffered to this:
–> interface wlan already configure
It seems, this configure process has some problems, it can see this form the next two messages:
–> dnsmasq: FAIL
–> hostapd: FAIL
I dont know too much about the details of the hostapd script, but it seems, if dont find a correct configured wlan0 interface, it dont run and configure the wifi AP mode, consequently you will not access to the system on wifi…
Another problem is the DVB-S2 device. Maybe it has correst config, but it need to access to the web setup page and fill the sat data to make the ondd config. If it will be finished, maybe the ondd will restart. In this moment this is the case:
–> ondd: FAIL
On your second picture it breaks the log messages when the udhcp try to get ip address to the eth0 interface.

It is not easy to make a remote diagnose. Without network connection you have limited possibilities to document the error messages. I propose to login on the “console”, using an usb keyboard, (login:outernet/pwd:outernet) and check the init log, it is the dmesg output. You can use the less or more command to read it page-by-page:
dmesg | less
You can try to take more attentions to the messages about the config of the wlan0 interface.
You can check its actual status on the console with the
ifconfig
or the
iwconfig command
If on this system with this wifi interface the older ORx system is working, it seems, there exists only a temporaly error.

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll do what you suggest and report back later.

It still puzzles me that I am using the same Image file everybody else is using so successfully, and mine won’t work. More later. Ken

Still no luck here. I wonder if Branko has any suggestions? Why me not working! Right! Ken

How familiar are you with Linux? Could please you try mounting the first partition of the SD card and copying the system log (/var/log/messages) to it and sending it to me?

I have found that you have to have an IP address for when you start up the receiver, which is crazy!
I have had this problem too without ethernet. You need to connect it to a spare router or something… You don’t have to have an internet connection, just an IP address for the ethernet wire.
hint Branko, please put a fix for this in the 3.0 release! (yes I saw that ticket in GitHub ;))

If this fails or not, still post the log in here as people can debug the ethernet problem (as that’s most likely the problem).

It is indeed. I always test it via SSH, so it never occurred to me to test without networking. Thanks for noting that!

I can’t get past the last line of code on boot up " sending discover". Unable to get to the Pi’s login screen for Outernet. Ken

I see. I’ll do some testing over the weekend to see where we’re at.

Sorry it took a while. I believe the issue @kenbarbi was experiencing should be fixed in 0.2.8 hotfix. Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

I have completed testing of the new v0.2.8 finding the following:

1. When I replaced the Zimage on my v0.2.4 SD chip with the new Zimage of v0.2.8, I was unable to connect to the Raspberry Pi by WiFi. The pi boot up fine with the exceptions of ONDD failing to start, and I could not display the Librarian even when connected by ethernet cable.

2. I unzipped the v0.2.8 image file and loaded it onto a new 8 Gig SD chip using Win32DiskImage, was able to boot up the Raspberry Pi, and then see the Librarian by Wifi as I have done before with the older v0.2.4. I still showed ONDD failing to start, and when I went thru the Librarian setup, I was not able to connect to Galaxy 19. The Librarian showed No Signal Lock and No Receive Data.

This is progress, but something is still not working properly. Since now I can login to the Raspberry Pi, you might suggest what to check. I’m thinking the ONDD not starting is my problem. Thanks again for all you hard work. Ken

Oh well, back to drawing board. Is it model B or B+ btw?

It’s a B+ V 1.2 Ken

Branko, working with Brian on his new problem, I decided to double check my sat receivers by connecting them to a laptop and looking at the video they produced as FTA units.

Both the Geniatech and the PCTV 461 appear not to be working. Before when I did the same test, each displayed a large number of FTA channels from Galaxy 19. Now OI get nothing.

So my question is - - if v 0.2.7 boots up on the Raspberry Pi and does not see a sat receiver (or a bad one), will it show the ONDD failing to start? If that is how it operates and both my sat receivers have gone bad, then your software does not have a problem. Please let me know to confirm what I am now thinking before

Yes, ONDD will fail to start if it doesn’t see a working tuner. My suggestion is to try this:

1. Boot without a tuner attached
  2. Attach a tuner
  3. Download system log from dashboard and check for correct output:
[   53.529379] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
[   53.536338] dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 0, initialized 1
[   53.536338] 
[   53.549895] dvb-usb: SU3000HD DVB-S USB2.0 successfully initialized and connected.
[   53.556995] usbcore: registered new interface driver dw2102
[   54.996019] dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 1, initialized 1
[   54.996019] 
[   55.677844] dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -110
[   55.752194] ds3000_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-ds3103.fw)...
[   55.759541] ds3000_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload(2)...
[   56.835008] usb 1-1.2: DVB: adapter 0 frontend 0 frequency 0 out of range (950000..2150000)

You may see some unrelated messages in between, but what you’re looking for is something similar to the last line in the example. If your tuner is really bad, you will probably see something quite different.

Anyway, I’ve just tested ORxPi 2.8 with WiFi dongle plugged in, and no LAN cable attached, and all seems to be working.

Hi again - - I don’t see those messages, so I must assume I have a bad sat receiver. I had to check the System Log with v 0.2.4 since my v 0.2.8 would not get me to the Dashboard as I do not have a working sat receiver.

Otherwise, yes, v 0.2.8 with WiFi dongle, and no LAN cable seems to load up fine. I’ll order a new sat tuner from your store (which should be much easier than last year when I ordered it from Hong Kong). Thanks, Ill let you know how I do when I get the new hardware. Ken

To check the state of the dvb reciver involving this steps:
You need a working system, and access it with login (preffered on ethernet/ssh, or direct console)

• plug the receiver in the usb port.
  • check, is it recognized by the usb system, use the
    lsusb command
    in the list you can see this line in the case of the PCTV receiver:

ORxPi v0.2.7 | root@orxpi:/home/outernet> lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2013:0258 <----- this is the PCTV receiver
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05e3:0604

USB ID-s: 2013:0258
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pinnacle_PCTV_DVB-S2_Stick_(461e)
(The Geniatech receiver has similar ident line, but I havenot it to check)

If you dont see this usb identifing line, you have some hardware problem with your receiver.
(check the usb connectors, maybe your power unit dont able to produce the necessary power…)
If it is OK, the next step to check the kernel modules need to working with the receiver.
Use the lsmod command
You have to have this modules loading in this order, in my case this is the module list, support the PCTV receiver:

ORxPi v0.2.7 | root@orxpi:/home/outernet> lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
rc_pinnacle_pctv_hd 710 0
em28xx_rc 7461 0
rc_core 14655 3 rc_pinnacle_pctv_hd,em28xx_rc
a8293 1243 1
m88ts2022 4409 1
regmap_i2c 1956 1 m88ts2022
m88ds3103 9391 1
em28xx_dvb 18149 3
dvb_core 61050 2 m88ds3103,em28xx_dvb
em28xx 57912 2 em28xx_rc,em28xx_dvb
tveeprom 11239 1 em28xx
v4l2_common 5117 1 em28xx
videodev 107333 2 em28xx,v4l2_common
media 10619 1 videodev
spi_bcm2708 4598 0
i2c_bcm2708 4347 0

===================
The final step to check the “devices”, the so called kernel entry points, in the /dev dir, use this commands;
cd /dev/dvb
ls -l
You can see this line:
ORxPi v0.2.7 | root@orxpi:/dev/dvb> ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100 Jan 1 1970 adapter0

If you found this line, you are OK. You have a working usb receiver. The system recognised, and ready to working with it.
To start the ondd daemon, you need a correct config file for it, you will make it with the web Setup page.

t.janos

What @tjanos says is pretty much spot-on expect that I’d also check /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 instead of just adapter0. Even if the adapter itself is recognized, kernel may still be unable to load the module for the actual frontend (which may happen with some of the unsupported devices).

Branko,
thanks for the corrections.
Some years ago was the experience with the dvb-t (rtl-sdr) devices, that the far-east companies sometimes produced in the same device,s name, totally different chipset inside. In this case, this device become “unsupported”.