Othernet news feed

I just set up my new hardware and it seems to be working fine. However I did notice something that could be really useful for people that are away from an internet connection. A news feed from the othernet forums. This would let people know if there are any software updates available, known bugs, planned network outages, etc. Basically all the knowledge in the forums could be accessible to everyone using othernet. I already looked into this a little and the forums already have rss capabilities built in.

https://forums.othernet.is/latest.rss

This would have been useful when L band went down. I spent a week trying to get that thing working.

1 Like

Is that an active RSS feed, or a hypothetical? On iOS the link opens up Apple News for some reason.

I’m assuming the forum does produce a proper RSS feed. That’s a good idea. We should be able to ingest it like any other news feed we have.

1 Like

Yes that is an active feed. I assume ios redirects rss feeds to apple news. If you open that link on an android or pc it will open an Xml file.

1 Like

This one could be good to go into Twitter/ Facebook via Ifttt or similar

Othernet Marketing Opportunity ---- Northern California is (or planned) to be without
power or internet for maybe the next two or three days.

Too bad I don’t see any Dreamcatchers up in that could demonstrate it’s capabiities
Screenshot_2019-10-09%20Othernet%20Status%20Dashboard
Screenshot_2019-10-09%20PG%20E%20power%20outages%20snarl%20traffic%2C%20Bay%20Area%20shutdowns%20to%20start%20midday%20Wednesday

humorous quote from cbsnew – reference to laterns
“We sold out of lanterns this morning. The shelf is completely empty,” said Howard Gibbs, the manager at Ace Hardware in the town of Lafayette,