Outernet 3.0: 30kbps now, 100kbps eventually - even smaller antenna

Me too :yum:

Ken

2 Likes

same here. also this youtube video sums up what is going to happen when they go up for sale. Mine mine mine (Finding Nemo) Raw link ā†’ [Mine mine mine (Finding Nemo) - YouTube

1 Like

Thank You Sir! Maybe sooner which bird, so we can practice aligning?

1 Like

As soon as the satellite is selected, Iā€™ll be sure to post the information here.

2 Likes

Is there anything that the rest of us can do for you? We are after all scattered all across the country.
Iā€™m in the Seattle WA area.

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

Thanks for the very generous offer. Itā€™s unfortunate that we canā€™t take advantage of it just yet, but we are getting closer. There will be a lot of measurement that weā€™ll need help with, but first we need the signal, then the new boards.

2 Likes

If I had to pick one, it would probably be G28. Targeting populations in Canada as well as rural Alaska would be beneficial to promoting and demonstrating the project. Users will get creative with antennas to get better, more reliable signals.

1 Like

This technology will hugely benefit in North Korea and Middle East. I hope we are not focusing too much on hobbyist market in developed world. I believe there will be a huge demand for Outernet in North Korea as North Koreans have no other means to receive information from outside world. Street market in North Korea is flooded with DVD players and USBs from China. This project will enable people of NK to fight against the brutal regime.

what does the coverage map of NSS-7 look like for the EU area does it hit in any of the N/S Korea area? or does that require its own satellite?

1 Like

Mostly in Europe:

2018-01-09 14_49_44-SatBeams - Satellite Details - NSS 7

It has 2 Africa beams, 1 South America beam, and 1 North America beam; but they are not too inclusive. Ken

1 Like

USB Power Cubes and Cables for Ku-band Dreamcatcher System

I bring up the need for an Outernet vetted USB Power Cube and connector cable again. The new Dreamcatcher and LNB will no doubt be power hungry as before. I believe it will be in the best interest of our system that a strong and reliable power cube and cable should be sold on the store along with the new Dreamcatcher and LNB.

Ken

1 Like

Ken, are any of those 110-240v or do you have to have two different models? The ones at the drug store that provide two USB outlets - one at 1.0A and the other at 2.1A are actually 3.1A capable.

The question is - Do they give up their smoke when connected to a 2 Ohm 15 Watt load?

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

All the USB cubes I use are 110-240v. I bought a CE Tech single 5 volt 2.4 amp output at Home Depot, and it works great with my Lantern. I also purchased an iclever dual 5 volt 2.4 amp (which is a total combined 4.8 amp 24 watt device) thru Amazon for $11 each. It also works fine. Each output is a full 2.4 amp. It also does double duty charging my EasyAcc 20,000 mAh power pack after I go mobile with my Lantern, and need a recharge.

Lesser units have always given me trouble with my Lantern and I have discarded them (or relegated them to my cell phones). Looking at recent Forum posts, I believe some folks are using too small a USB cube.

The drug store variety (or Five Below Store) units donā€™t hack it even if their specs say they can. :wink:

Ken

I used a Amazon Basic 2.1A USB Power supply on my SDRx / CHIP Setup and it worked well for over 250 Days without a single shutdown. I used a cheap short (30cm) and thin usb cable.

My Dreamcatcher v2.03 with active Antenna is running on a 2.1A USB power supply from a Cheap Tablet from China that i got over 3 Years ago. The cable is also from the same tablet and it now runs for some weeks without problems.

I also measured my DC 2 (DC3 should use a similar amount) and it never used more then 1A at ~5.15v.
Wifi AP was on and connected to my PC, Packets where also decoded from Alphasat :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think that they should sell extra USB power bricks and cables, when anyone can get them locally very easy and cheap :upside_down_face:

regards,
Manuel

Good to hear. Others may have pause to consider other alternatives.

My concern is Outernet needs to deliver a complete package when it is deployed in remote areas.

We are lucky to be able to easily adapt. Ken

There used to be quite a few Ku band satellites over the atlantic, but most of them were never replaced at end of lifetime. The original purpose of providing links across the atlantic really no longer exists. NSS-7 is an old satellite (beyond its lifetime, inclined orbit) as well. That probably makes it cheap to rent transponders, but it is a bit inconvenient in that it will be tricky to do testing with the movable dish. Of course it is still possible when the correct timeslot is used.
For effective coverage it would be better to use a satellite near 25 deg east instead of west.

1 Like

Itā€™s not in a geostationary, but only geosynchronous orbit. Itā€™s orbit is slightly tilted and not right over the equator. The effect is that during the day it goes up and down in elevation.

How much of a difference in elevation does that make during the day from various places in Europe and Africa?

NSS 7 on N2YO

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

I knowā€¦ The elevation varies between about 23.9 and 28.6 here. It would of course work OK when it is halfway between those extremes but it could be a problem to receive it on my 80cm dish when it is at the extremes. I tried receiving inclined sats before and it works maybe half of the time, of course less when the inclination increases even more.
For the envisioned reception using only a bare LNB it would not be a problem.

1 Like

I did not mean to be insulting by explaining what I thought the issue was before my question.

Yes, I agree that on a bare LNB with a 30Ā° beamwidth is really not going to be a problem.

BTW AMSAT Phase4B (Americas) is planned to be geosync not geostat. They plan on using Ku band downlink with DVB2-SX on a wideband signal. One meter dishes are necessary for their link budget. I figure that dishes for that satellite will need to have an elevation motor running on them.

ā€“Konrad, WA4OSH

@pe1chl is absolutely correct.

1 Like