Outernet 3.0: 30kbps now, 100kbps eventually - even smaller antenna

This information is good to know

Itā€™s against the law to do business with any sanctioned countries.

Erfanha, hope everything is OK for you and yours.
I understand that there is a complete internet blackout now for all of Iranā€¦
I wish there were not sanctions/bans from both sides that included Outernet gear, and you could access an othernet beam; actually I just wish everything were cool and you had normal access and no state crackdowns.

Anyone tried one of these? They appear to have a built in LNB and are quite cheap. Kinda reminds me of the old BSB ā€œsquarielā€. Might be worth a punt?

1 Like

You donā€™t need a Dish, a normal LNB without a Dish works just fine

Right. But some folks want the extra gain (which is the subject of this thread) and from within someoneā€™s house (for stealth install reasons) this might be good?

Oddly enough, I tore one of these down, but didnā€™t really try it for reception. I assumed the problem was the offset, which is +/- 2 MHz. I just didnā€™t fiddle with the frequency lobby enough to get packets.

It was a very unusual type of helical array.

For indoor reception Iā€™m trying to find a stable, decent-quality supply of 35cm dishes. I can receive through three walls with that much gain.

holy smokes thats a bad LO right there. 2Mhz is really not great.

Well, if you have a window to the sat a bear LNB will be the best solution i think. Works great here since Months :slight_smile:

I bought one of those 26cm ā€œflat dishā€ antennas. Total junk. It is cheap plastic ā€¦ and the shipping cost was very expensive. It performed WORSE then the bare lnbf provided by othernet.

Exactly the feedback I was looking for. I guess Iā€™ll not be spending my money on that then :slight_smile: