Outernet for sailors (weather forecast grib files)

Each cone still needs skew adjustment.

1 Like

When Europe comes up this week, will Abhishek revise Skylark 5.5 or do an OTA update to get the new satellite into the data base of Skylark? Ken

I will make a new release - and depending on how things look, I might make an OTA.
A week or two after EU comes up though - initially, the EU folks will just have to manually configure a custom beam.

1 Like

Please let them know what to do to get on in the interim. Ken

I will announce the required settings as part of the announcement for the new beam.

Is anyone in Europe (or elsewhere under SES-4 EU) right now–and with a Dreamcatcher 3.03?

1 Like

Sounds like the signal is online?

Yes, though there still may be some adjustments to it.

1 Like

[quote=“Martin, post:134, topic:1171, full:true”]
Sounds like the signal is online?

Syed Yes, though there still may be some adjustments to it.

Does this mean you will change your name again from “Othernet” to “DUOnet”

In The Netherlands/ Europe with a Dreamcatcher 3/ 5.5 image pointed at SES-4@22West.

Need info on the Freq. and Beam :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Gert - - I presume you have your Dreamcatcher setup. If you followed my guide, the guide does not list SES-4 yet, so I’m thinking you’ll have to do a custom satellite setup. When the “dust settles”, I will be revising my guide accordingly. Ken

2 Likes

Hello @Gert_Fokkema We are finding some issues with reception. The signal is a little weaker than what is available in North America and the MK1 is not able to track it the way we were hoping it would. This will likely require a hardware fix, which is what we are discussing right now. In the meantime, I would like to offer you a refund for your purchase. We are definitely working to resolve the issue, but it may take a bit of time.

I’ll also be following up with other EU customers tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi @Syed

Thank you for the clear answer and the refund offering.
It still would be great to proceed with the receiption of Othernet here in Europe, even using a new LNB.
Can I be of any assistance testing equipment like LNB, cone, a small dish or any other hardware?

With kind regards,

Gert Fokkema
PA3GET

1 Like

@Syed, I am expecting my dreamcatcher to arrive this week and I agree with Gert that it is worth trying to get it working over here. So if I can help in any way please let me know.

2 Likes

Have you or @Gert_Fokkema tried to use the LNB mounted on an offset feed Ku-band antenna Free-to-air (FTA) system?

My portable unit connects to a bare LNB with a 4 " x 2 " x 8 " metallic cone working on SES-2 here in North America. My permanent unit is connected to a Quad Polar Invacom QPH-031 on my 80 cm offset feed Ku-band dish. Both LNB’s have about the same specs, but the 80 cm offset dish really improved my reception here ouside of Washinton DC. Ken

2 Likes

I was looking at the satbeams ku power contours . I receive ses-2 in a region listed as 48dbw in north america. What are the differences for ses-4 ku Europe/middle east , for the 48dbw regions - the elevations seem a lot closer to the horizon … what else could be affecting reception that require hardware changes ???

The carrier we are using is a narrower than the US, which means that the precision of the LNB needs to be better than what is MK1 provides. So you may think you’ve tuned into the signal, but due to the offset, it’s nowhere to be found.

We’re working on a frontend that has much tighter offset tolerance.

I am using a non-pll lnbf and have noticed that I have to custom shift the frequency every time the ambient temperature of the lnb changes before I can start receiving. The ‘lock’ indicator does not seem to satisfy the receiver. Usually if the offset is greater the 100K , I lose all packets.

Yes, this is the problem we will completely eliminate.

Hi @kenbarbi

Got my LNB aimed at the SES-4 @ 22deg. West but still haven’t got the SES-4 Outernet frequency or Beam, so can’t test anything yet.