Outernet for sailors (weather forecast grib files)

Wow, this is great. Could you summarize a cost estimate or possible bill of materials ?

I would probably add an aluminum mounting bracket / rail clamp and something to weather seal the 5 vdc and switches. But this sure looks ready for a sail !!! and my spring fever is longing for a cruise.

Thank you very much! I’ll try to calculate the costs the next days. But I got the parts mostly from the construction market/ebay. It shouldn’t be too expensive
I thought about adding some kind of screw to mount it on a stativ like a camera. Then I could use some acion cam mountings to place it on my handrail or on top of my hard dodger (non metal and not magnetic), which would be as far as I can keep it away from the steel hull.
The switches can be sealed on the inside using hot glue, epoxy or sikaflex. But I’ll wait with that until everything is tested enough.

Hello to everyone! I hope you are all fine and healthy. I did a test today with the new Dreamcatcher mounted and it works fine. https://youtu.be/cGkX3BjjwyE I can’t go to the boat at the moment, but I’ll test it underway when the situation allows it again.

8 Likes

That is so slick! I want one!

@Martin, do you have a git or something where we could get and hack your code for the 3D parts, PCB, and AVR? Parts used too please, what is that white container?

@biketool Sorry I don’t have a git. And my files are still pretty chaotic + the code is mostly in german. When I’m finnished making changes I will sort it all out. The white container is a piece of PVC pipe with a CNC made top.

I hate my code too, but there is always online translation to figure out the comments or if uncommented then the code is universal.
If you started with a FOSS project or two it would be nice to know a good place to start after seeing your implementation.
What can I say, I am a hack, I would prefer to start a few cm from the finish line than a few km re-solving problems you already solved!

Good evening everyone! I have got a new update of my tracking antenna project: https://youtu.be/THoQVlFhIhE

4 Likes

One possible ‘enhancement’, could a cone extension be added to the lnbf to increase the signal strength.
Maybe (a 4 inch long x diameter of lnbf) extension…

This would affect the motor power required to adjust a more massive load. And it means the size of the enclosure would to be larger… which means more mounting problems… among other issues…

Generally, I am happy with signal strength. I think it should be enough to vary the angles depending on the SNR of the current signal.
I have a question though. The test in the video was done in the Netherlands. And even stationary, with the automatic function disabled, I couldn’t get the same SNR as here in Germany. Is it possible that there are such big differences in signal quality depending on your location? (its just around 500 km distance).

Hi, here in rome these are the values with a horn ( cone), without is -17 snr and - 96 rssi.
Never lock with the bare LNB.
The astra signal is focused in middle europe. Good for you sailors in the north but almost impossible here in mediterranian sea.

Very good job, indeed

@iw0hjz Thanks for your answer! So it seems we need a horn to make it work in all areas… Can I ask what kind of cone you are using?
Does anyone know if there are cheap off the shelf cones available which are working with the Dreamcatchers’ LNB?

here it is.
Hope you like yogurt, because is in BOM you need. The part with old hairbrush hinge is waiting for copyrights.

1 Like

tnx to donde for this:

Othernet Empfang

I used the link to make a template out of paper and then coated it with aluminium foil. I am really surprised how much it improves my signal.

1 Like

I fitted a ring to my horn, so it can be put on and taken off easily. I am also making parts for a second antenna at the moment and I’ll add some changes so it will work with the horn attached. Only it will not fit into its current case while the horn is on the LNB.

@Martin How much additional gain did you get from the cone?

@Syed I would say 3 dB. The best I got so far without the cone was a SNR of -6.5

Good evening everyone! I made a new case that should work with the cone attached. It’s made of a beach ball and an inspection hatch. Everything is airtight, so it should be weather-proof as well. I will also add a camera screw mount to the lit, so it can be mounted on a tripod or a cheap security camera mount. That should make it easy fix it on the boats guard rail. I chose a transparent ball (which only was available with glitter) to watch how everything is working inside, but I guess a white one would look nicer and you wouldn’t see the mess I made with the sealant. Those balls are standard merchandise stuff and super cheap. @Syed you could even have an Othernet-logo printed on them. (Take a white one, add a few LEDs to illuminate it from inside and you would have a literal lantern :wink: )

2 Likes

This is bananas! Do you have a video of this…in the dark?