Outernet in Iran with raspberry pi zero?

Is it possible to catch outernet using a raspberry pi zero and using hotbird satellite in Iran?note that the lnb has multiple outputs and one of them is connected to a TV and can I use the other outputs to run outernet?
The point of using raspberry zero is just its cheap if anyone knows a cheaper and better one please mention it Tnx.

2 Likes

The service you are referring to has been discontinued.

2 Likes

You mean that outernet doesn’t work in Iran anymore?

1 Like

The system you are referring to has been shut down quite some time ago, the system that replaced
is it about to be shut down, and a new system has been announced. It is faster and it cannot run on
a Raspberry Pi. For now there is nothing.

2 Likes

So what board will the new system work on?

1 Like

Initially just this:

https://outernet.is/pages/buy-now

I think supporting more generic devices is on the roadmap.

2 Likes

Tnx but that would be expensive as I see in the information would there be any alternative way?using arduino or raspberry seemed to be great how about using the normal receiver while nobody watches TV?why you don’t make a compatible data sending and then via an app in computer or Android change the recorded video by the receiver to the files you have sent.This product is meant to be cheap but its receivers don’t look to be cheap and the other point is, I live in Iran and yet we don’t have any outernet receiver in the stores to buy.I thought the point of this project was to bring the data to places like Iran or North Korea,But with these inaccessible receivers I don’t think so the idea never comes true.

1 Like

Even though the idea I talked about earlier is more likely to work it has its own problems just like you start recording in the middle of a file and then you cant use that file but all I know is that,in computer we can attach some files the.apk and.img and make them into one file and later we can detach them and use them both without any problem or error using cmd though.Making your own software for Windows or Android will do this trick and then the free Internet would be accessible for everybody we all have hotbird on our dishes and receivers a channel on that with the algorithm I mentioned will ease the pain. BTW this is just my theory cause I don’t know about broadcasting to satellite at all, all I know is just computer hope this idea would help you enhance your project.

1 Like

First of all: Outernet doesen’t provide access to the Internet. It only has a downstream (Sending data) and not an upstream.

A arduino would be way to slow for decoding the signal and so on. A raspberrypi has enough power but you would need software and a receiver for that.But i think that there are plans to support raspberrypi or similar in the future.

Having something in stores is also very expensive for a company, sending each unit to the person who bought one over the Internet is much better in my opinion.

Sending the data over a dvbs signal is not ideal and would require more bandwidth (and so will cost much more).

regards,
Manuel

1 Like

Steve, did you try Toosheh? Ihis is possibly a solution for Iran. Since I live in Europe, I can not receive it here and have no experience, but as I understand, it delivers GBs of data per day with standard equipment.

Wolfgang

1 Like

That is a clever solution! They just use a standard DVB receiver that can record to USB stick, record the “program” as a .ts file and have a utility to extract and re-assemble the files from that .ts file.
No hardware to design, no hardware to ship.
Of course in this incarnation it requires a dish as it uses a single channel out of a MCPC stream, but I still believe DVB is the way to to.

1 Like

OK tnx for mentioning that is there any other alternative I think this would be ok but I don’t think It gives me what I want I want coding tutorials arduino and programming tutorials is there any other alternative that covers exclusively these things or even a TV channel that shows these kind of things I Googled but I found none so please mention it if you know and Tnx again.

Look up MOOC s …There are about a dozen of them. udacity offers a course in Android programming. Also, there are tons of YouTubes on that subject.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Take a look at this YouTube android tutorial

–Konrad, WA4OSH

@Konrad_Roeder
Hello Tnx but I still can’t find anything would you please be in touch with me by my email it is:
[email protected]
Tnx. I want them on hotbird or utellsat not on network.

1 Like

The point is that this is just an entertainining service with news no tutorials are included and its just on yahsat not hotbird or other services btw Tnx for letting me know.

1 Like

toosheh is just entertainment and news. … Hmmmm.
I see the problem.

Maybe the data is hidden in the video program. Video steganography. What a concept.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

No I mean its data and apps are about entertainment apps and videos the files I mean.They are movies and clips and other things in their data no tutorial program as far as I digged thier website.And playstore.

2 Likes

We used to have a system similar to Toosheh. We could still do it as it’s all fully functional. The problem is that we didn’t see any interest in our dish–based service. The upside to using a satellite that everyone is already pointed to and being purely software based is that lots of people could instantly use the service. But then we have a problem: If we aren’t selling hardware, how do we cover our operational costs?

1 Like

It depends on what is the actual problem you want to solve.
For me, outernet does not solve any problem, it just provides some fun tinkering.
But apparently for people in countries like Iran, or could provide a service that provides them with
uncensored news. Similarly, in situations where there is no internet connection at all, it could provide
service similar to what shortwave radio used to be.
Covering the costs, well that would probably be easiest when there is some governmental or UN body
that recognizes this need and would want to subsidize it. Or you could try selling the software or license
to use it, but that normally does not work well due to piracy.