Outernet in Iran with raspberry pi zero?

Yes, you hit it on the head. Basically all of our freedom of information with must be subsidized by profitable business lines, such as hardware sales, high resolution weather data, or advertising.

Getting international NGOs is a waste of time. I lost two years chasing running down that path. The only way we become as pervasive as shortwave of yesteryear is by making something that people want–and at least a small percentage pay for, in some capacity (hardware, premium content, sponsored content).

2 Likes

Sign me up for this year’s limited edition 2018 Outernet logo Henley Tee.

And of course the limited edition 2018 conference badge, where we get to meet all the other Outernet regulars!

Shhhhhhhhh … no you can’t see it. You have to go to the conference to get one. Only so many are ever made.

:wink:

–Konrad, WA4OSH

An example conference badge could authenticate an Outernet SMS message.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Yes of course you’re right.You guys should sell hardwares but are you really selling them in high demand countries like Iran? The point is if I was in a country like USA I might just use your service for fun because the speed of network is great it has cheaper ways to use it but in Iran it’s critical the money you pay for an acceptable Internet here cots half of a clerk salary.So these ppl need services like outernet and they’ll buy the hardware if you send it here and sell them in the shops tough it shouldn’t be so expensive.The cost of raspberry Pi zero everybody would want to have outernet then more expensive less customers.And this way you can earn money but also the advertising would be a great idea just send some ads in between of the videos you send and get sponsored by some foreign countries like Iran too they do a lot of advertising here why shouldn’t do in your outernet.That would be practical then.

1 Like

Where’s the logo? I thought you would Photoshop an Outernet logo on it. But doing so might bother Henley Tee. :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW-Henley is not a brand name, but a style of tee-shirt. A Henley shirt is a collarless pullover shirt, characterized by a placket beneath the round neckline, about 3 to 5 inches (8 to 13 cm) long and usually having 2–5 buttons. It essentially resembles a collarless polo shirt.

OK I don’t have Photoshop on my Linux laptop. But I used a meme maker to make this image.

@Steve_Moretz Outernet to me is for the experimentation and the learning experience and secondarily it’s about the content. I see it like building a shortwave radio versus listening to it.

I can understand that in some countries access to the content is more important than the experimenting and or learning experience.

I seriously think that Syed is very conscious about the cost. Believe me, there’s much more involved than just a raspberry pi zero to receive the signal. Syed is working on the third generation of hardware right now. He’s increasing the received data rate, reducing the size of the antenna and trying to control the costs of both the hardware and the service to transmit the data.

What would really help would be to hear from you what content you would be interested in - News, Weather, Educational materials?

–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

I agree on this with you and syed it costs you a lot and that’s undeniable the hardware you are making is great of course but till it gets available to every shop in the world that’s gonna be years away but also for making the hardware you need chips and ic and a lot of things to use in the board and also a lot of bread board testing and experimenting and you should minus all of these from the price you sell it and again it won’t be available to everybody in every where but using a system like toosheh and trying to put the profit without the hardware releases and selling and excrementing on the price of a life time vip so whoever wants outernet can use it for 7 days trial for example and after that should pay you how much the price of hardwares without things I mentioned would be, and still with the advertising you can bring the price even lower.And the advantage of this is that you can get your money from every one in every place in the world and you shouldn’t be worry about hardwares and shipping and stuffs because ppl use normal receivers to get outernet though still you can make better and specilized receivers and sell them for more profit.

The fact is my friend we get a wide range of TV channels showing news and TV but not anything educational.So I think sending more exclusive stuffs and not just that like sending funny videos and movies even too would be better to just send news cause we can reach BBC and other news here as well.

There are quite a few countries, Iran being one of them, where we can’t export or import our products.

1 Like

Your creation looks Great!

1 Like

Well I don’t think so there is no way to do so,you need to find somebody here that does this for you everyday a lot of electric stuffs like sensors modules boards chips ICs are imported here from different places btw that’s you that see wheter it has profit or not by ignoring a few countries is a lot of loss to me this country for example has 80 million ppl that you’re simply ignoring that’s the money earning that is escaping to me.Good luck making your hardware.

Sure. Its probably a whole lot more than making money.
–Konrad, WA4OSH

1 Like

Steve - Toosheh is exactly doing the same thing as the initial Outernet tests. Pushing content, under the excuse of being “unfiltered” which is a misnomer, since it is after all curated. There is a finite amount of bandwidth available for pushing things over DVB or any other service. It can’t be randomly whatever and you find whatever you want ad hoc.

Not sure what exactly you expect from a free, broadcast service… To get what “you want” requires some bidirectional interplay. That is attainable through content requests via an alternative means, like email. Like requesting a song from your local radio station.

The Outernet test service on L-Band required about $100 of readily available hardware and your PC. Pretty cheap.

The next iteration will be about the same, according to Syed. Just different method of distribution.

Pretty sure Outernet or Toosheh are not going to become the all-encompassing secret pipeline for clandestine communications for anti-regime or tumultuous societies.

2 Likes

Hello to all friends
Our post in Iran can not use Ethernet online

1 Like