Outernet is a marketing scam, and nothing more

Thats what i call a lobby troll.
Some issues true but not unsolveable, others depending on an invented service of the troll ( he wants outernet to be something HE imagines…nothing more)…it is pretty clear in my eyes what “global library” means.
Surely not having informations when i want them to be there is a nono in teh 21st century…come on ppl 25 years ago when you wanted to read something you had to go to a store and buy it or a public place or a friend or whatever nowadays you cant wait a day to recieve free information?

man…arxos thats just a shame…even a year after your post
i wouldnt be surprised if somebody payed you to write such an elaborated junk of you know what.
im sure it wasnt too much money.

greets heka

OK, old topic, but some great replies. Nice to see that the original poster was not simple flamed, but caused some great points to be raised.

We, who are lucky enough to have full time data to our home and cell phone 100% of the time, don’t really get it sometimes.

I had some crappy dial up internet access not all that many years ago, and no such thing as cell delivered data of any kind.

Then, I got my hands on an Orbcomm transceiver - looked like an old school hand held scanner. It operates in the 150 MHz and 400 MHz bands, and it is used for messaging. The user generates a message on his unit, it gets passed to the satellite when the next satellite is in view. The satellite stores the message until it sees a ground station - then it transmits it to the ground, then off to the internet.

I thought it was so cool that I could stand on my deck and send an email! I think anyone using even the first Outernet proof of concept hardware in a remote area that has no communications at all will be equally impressed!

I admit that I have not read all of the info on the proposed cube sats, but having them store a bunch of data as they pass the uplink station, then broadcast that info as they fly around means they don’t have to be in touch with a ground station all the time - a la Iridium, Inmarsat, etc. Orbcomm provides global coverage with 29 satellites that only weigh 100 pounds each. The Outernet system seems completely doable!

Anyhoo, too bad someone like Arxos has to poo-poo the whole system concept without being as open minded as those who responded.

I probably wrote too many words for a dead thread … but the title is very unfortunate, and caught my eye … I had to respond.

2 Likes

@bmcintosh im glad atleast there are supporters that are positive with this project… since i saw this on FB i have always liked the idea i mean knowledge does its best when shared across people its amazing what it can do to change the world and how things work… while people like @arxos will always be there to always criticize such awesome systems in the world of technology there will be as double to support the system to move forward im glad you are one of the supporters of #outernet welcome aboard. :smile:

1 Like

Some more concerns here:

1. Outernet is using satellites, currently from 3rd party organizations. Some of them (Eutelsat, Intelsat) already showed that they can censor transmissions, eg. they cutted out iranian IRIB channels when USA enabled their sanctions. Do You really believe that if You will send by Outhernet anything controversial - it won’t be cutted out like IRIB?
    Of course there are some plans of independent satellites, but these plans are very far away, currently I see no warranty of this service.

2. Outernet website is lacking of any details of currently active transmissions (and technical details). On status.outernet.is there is listed IS-10 feed, which is down from few weeks (it was fast). On Eutelsat 113 West A, ABS-2 and AsiaSat 5 nobody confirmed any frequency/technical details.

3. Hot Bird feed is extremely slow, ~80 kbit/s, which I find hard to be any usable or helpful. In 1 minute You even won’t download 1 MB of data, where files transmitted are really big.

I see that You have big plans and also put a lot of work and effort to make it work (updates, hardware), but current state of this project is far from anything usable and useful :frowning:

This is not classic censorship. US companies are not allowed to do business with Iranian companies (us included, btw), because it legally constitutes a treason and subject to penalties.

status.outernet.is doesn’t show active transmissions. It shows active receivers with Internet connection. Many of the deployed units have no access to Internet, so we can’t know for sure how many devices are pointed at different birds. We have our own monitoring stations in the regions where our staff live, but beyond that, it’s all volunteers.

If that is your concern, Outernet is not for you. Back in the days, I’d walk around with dozens for floppy disks to obtain my data. There are still places where even that is not possible. In such a situation, 80kbps of constant data is a huge improvement.

1 Like

@Reality this is one step in helping remote areas where even let alone 80kbps of speed where internet doesnt exist at all even to date or its too expensive dont you think this project will help those areas and the less fortunate?.. Welcome to Outernet (: