Phasing out support for Pi1

Before you start to panic, this does not mean we are no longer building Pi1 images. We will continue to provide Pi1 images as long as there is a Pi2 build.

This only means we will no longer test Pi1 images ourselves. Pi1 images will still contain all the fixes that Pi2 images will contain in the hopes that they will just work (most application-level fixes should just work anyway), but we won’t necessarily flash a Pi1 and test them before release. We will also continue to try and address issues that you report as long as they are easily fixable.

The decision to phase out direct support for Pi1 has come about due to lack of Pi1 feedback we see in the forums as well as the lack of developer time necessary to test everything, and also the fact that Pi1 is a bit underpowered for our software and not longer a worthwhile target (in terms of experience of using it / development cost ratio).

As a Pi1 user, your options are:

a) Research the problem you are having and make it easier for us to fix them (really try to figure out what the cause is rather than simply sending us the logs)
b) Fix them yoruself and submit a pull request on GitHub so the fix can be integrated
c) Use Pi2 instead (if you have or can get one)

A smart move (event thought I have a Pi1). It won’t go to waste - - I will permanently repurpose it to become a Rachel Pi server with Rachel’s 64 GB package http://worldpossible.org/.

Ken

PS - - I was asked by e mail (off the Forum) where to find the Rachel Pi1 and Pi2 files. They can be downloaded by FTP from: rachelfriends.org.

As you see, there are several language and size versions. Within each rachelpi there is a Pi1 and Pi2 version. There are also USB stick versions designed to work on Windows computers. Be aware these are big files - - 32 or 64 GB, and on a slow internet link take days to download. Even a fast Verizon FIOS fiber link takes 12-14 hours. Ken

1 Like

Hi Ken, here also a 64Gb-RachelPi1 is also running for several months without any problem!
Wolfgang

Wolfgang, I was wondering if you ever tried to load the Rachel Pi image on a 128 GB SD chip? That would give extra room to add new modules from http://dev.worldpossible.org/cgi/rachelmods.plif, and potentially new modules that Outernet might someday downlink.

Specifically, I want to add the 11.9 GB Khan Academy On a Stick to the 64 GB Pi version as the 64 GB Pi version only has the smaller Khan Academy By KA-Lite on it. Ken

no, didn´t try that, but thanks for the link!
Rgds, Wolfgang

I may have given you a bad URL. If the above doesn’t work, go to:
RACHEL | World Possible then go to Rachel - Free Content Packs

That’s where they are. Ken

1 Like

While I generally think it’s a good idea to support more platforms rather than fewer, I had a great pile of troubles on my Pi 1 simply because it’s under-powered. If you lack the time, I support your choice to test the Pi 2 only.

Is this working with Raspberry Pi 2?

No - - it’s my Raspberry Pi 1. I don’t think it matters with Rachel, but I can’t say for sure. Ken

If it’s based on Raspbian, it shouldn’t matter.

Found RPi2 image for 64GB_English