Signal Strength

I ran an experiment tonight swapping antennas between two Dreamcatchers. When I switched back to the original antenna I went from around 1.5 to 3 db SNR (I am in Utah - see status.outernet.is - very dry weather pattern over us now) - system is located indoors looking through window at 98W.

It was interesting since at first I thought it was related to my antenna orientation and pointing but it appears to be somehow related to unplugging and plugging back in the antenna. It would be interesting to see if others - when the signal strength is low - to unplug and plug back in their antenna if there are similar results.

Thanks,

Dan

my DC is in the shed, patch ant on the shed, under clear sky. at night, no specific time, the snr goes from daytime avg of 11 to nighttime around 1.5 - 2. i tried to dry off the antenna, 3 different sources of power, rebooted, disconnected and reconnected the antenna, checked connections, re-pointed the antenna, nothing seems to fix it other than sunrise. The DC never stops working, it always produces the skylark web page, just stops receiving sometimes. iā€™m beginning to think that either the antenna or the DC is thermally sensitive. it seems to need the heat to work. maybe try heat lamp next see if i can figure it out. also i have a pi/rtl/passive ant/amp combo waiting for assembly, i will install it in the same place, see if i get similar snr.

I had the same issue once with a repeater, turns out there was a night time light on the building that was cranking out RF that blanked out the receiver inputā€¦ nothing else could be heard over the RFā€¦

Might try to move it for one night and see if it changesā€¦