Skylark 5.5 for Dreamcatcher 3

Jim, you can do it without SSH, simply using the NETWORK app in Skylark. No hacking required.
Jerry

1 Like

tried to add a new user… to skylark, did not support that function

[Skylark][othernet@othernet:/etc]$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.10.6 (abhishek@alpha) (gcc version 6.1.0 (Buildroot 2016.02-git) ) #1 SMP 2018-01-0

[Skylark][othernet@othernet:/etc]$ sudo useradd demo
Password:
sudo: useradd: command not found

Here are some pictures - -

Here’s where you go - - image

Type in the new Othernet password - - image

Then click Apply and Reboot and your admin password will change to the new one. Ken

adding a new userid means mounting the filesystem on a different system, then either editing /etc/passwd or making it a link into /mnt/conf/etc and putting passwd there. then log in and use passwd … in other words, you get to experience the joy of the once upon a time before there was a useradd.

Lessons learned: I tried to change the client (STA mode) wifi network for my dreamcatcher.

-If I changed the Access Point Name, and Password in Network tab (Wifi Client)
and pressed “Apply and Reboot”. It would NOT connect.

numerous reboots, shutdowns, etc would not get it to connect… something was still ‘cached or stored’

Solution: If I use the the LCD menu “Reset Configuration (reboot)” , then log into the 10.0.0.1.
then change the network to client, re-entering the Access Point, password, and rebooting. The
dreamcatcher WILL connect.

1 Like

I have seen this same problem before recently when I went back to a Dreamcatcher 3.02Q board (after my DC 3.03 burned up), and did exactly what you did.

As an aside, I also rebooted my Wifi but I can’t confirm if the Wifi reboot or the 10.0.0.1 connect was the cure. Ken

I took the 3.02Q down this morning and extended the WiFi dongle about 14 inches away from the DC. The Tuner session has run all day today without needing a new login. It normally will only run about two hours and then stop blinking. All other functions seem to not be affected. On the first boot after moving the dongle, it acted goofy as you described above, but on the second, it picked up the lan and no further manipulations were required.

Somewhat related to the discussion: If the board is near a power supply, reception will often be unstable.

Thanks, Syed. I have not experienced the power supply problem with the 3.02 and the WiFi. It seems that the Dreamcatcher’s being located in the laundry area of my home, it has the most trouble when the washing and drying equipment are running. This being said, however, does suggest that the power emissions of these machines could be causing the disruptions similarly to how you relate in your reply. These are not WiFi enabled machines, so it is obviously hysteresis from the motors or heaters in the machines are causing the interruptions…

Try some ferrite beads on the USB power supply line, those are pretty good at knocking out floating ground and other rf skipping through the power supply interference in my experience especially if the grounding in your home is not great especially with 220vac.

1 Like