Skylark: Adding SafetyNET Feed

An app that displays the SafetyNET feeds from the three beams.

1 Like

That’s a lot of data. Will it be just alerts and warnings?

Are you sure? I think @zoltan previously calculated the IOR beam to produce a few hundred kB of text per day. Is that not right?

std-c public daily uncompressed text is maximum 200kByte as per my measurements

Ocean satellite region???

IOR beam, received in EU

So, there would be 600kb for all 3, potentially? Equivalent to 60 10kb items per day added to the carousel?

Would warnings or alerts take precedence over other items or just be transmitted when they come around in the sequence?

Great idea, as long as there is bandwidth capacity for it…
I imagine, that most of it is repetitive, but with the few real gems thrown in , like this one on MW just now
“OPVUDSCHZCZC KA63
THAMES - NORTH DUNKERQUE
SAILORS ARE INFORMED NO TRAWLING DREDGING AND ANCHORAGE
AT THE POSITION (WGS 84) : 51-19,37N 002-11,40E DUE TO THE DISCOVERY OF
AN EXPLOSIVE DEVICE
NNNN”

Who have though that there were still sea mines in the English Channel!!
I have a photo of one that washed up on Alderney many years ago.

2 Likes

600KB of text can easily be compressed below 100KB especially if it gets repetitive.

This would be a nice addition to the platform!

1 Like

SafetyNET would be a cool addition.

1 Like

Sounds sorta neat BUT I have yet to receive a single BOOK for my library. Not even a book reader on the menu, yet I have a calculator. Need some getting back the roots of the project?

3 Likes

i would also really like if this was added to the day feed for outernet.

Keep in mind the primary consumers of SafetyNet bulletins are maritime users who already are required to have these commercial terminals on board as part of basic gear.

To K4RKR’s point, that 600kb might be better spent pushing out textbooks, diagrams or other educational or reference materials.