Skylark V1.0 - new Outernet Firmware!

By the way, @Abhishek and @Syed, the thought crossed my mind that maybe a more powerful USB wall wart might work better with the Alpha Lantern CHIP terminal.

I’m using a 12 watt unit (2.1 amp dc) with a “fast charge” 10 ft USB cable. Should I get a 50 watt unit (5 amps dc) to run the Lantern, or continue with a 12 watt charger with a 3 ft “fast charge” cable? It’s not a standard charger you can easily find around the neighborhood, so I would have to order it in. The shorter “fast charge” cable would be easier to come by. Ken

Ken,

Do you have a separate DC power supply you could try? Power the CHIP up from the header pins instead of the USB connector?

-Cecil

Hello Cecil

I tried that, and got the following which won’t go to my Rachel index.html, but did add to my internal CHIP files which I can’t see with my FTP program. Now I can’t delete those 2 files.

I actually did it 2 times once with sudo ln -s /mnt/stick/Rachel/index.html Rachel.html and sudo ln -s /mnt/stick/Rachel/index.html Rachel.html to be shore.

Any ideas? Ken

I don’t have a DC supply, Cecil. While that may work, again I go back to my concept of running the Alpha Lantern as delivered thru its paces. I wonder what @Abhishek and @Syed will say in response?

If you are in the middle of Western Australia, and FedX delivers your Lantern, it aught to work out of the box :wink: right?

Ken

1 Like

Asi es, Lolo. Yo tambien trataba configurar el CHIP con PC de AMD Phenom 965, con maquina virtual habilitado pero me dio errores. Tuve que usar un Surface 3 y todo funciono bien.

Ken,

Did you just copy the command line from my post or did you actually find the path on your file system to where Rachel files are stored?

To me it looks like you had two failures.

1. you didn’t cd into /mnt/downloads before you ran the command.

2. you didn’t find the correct file path for your rachel index. Thus the 0 file sizes.

you will need to ssh in, find those links, use rm to delete them. Then read the original post again, slowly :slight_smile:

-Cecil

the ln command is like this

ln name_remote_file local_link_name

the -s option tells it not to hard link the file. Don’t worry about it, just use it.

There shouldn’t be any load on CHIP, since it’s basically a static page.

I don’t think it’s a power problem. Your unit was tested, but it could still be a QA issue with the CHIP. How many functional CHIPs do you have?

He seguido tus instrucciones, me crea el archivo “log.txt”, hasta aquí todo perfecto, pero tengo una duda, ¿cómo puedo ver la gráfica? como la de tu otro post.

Translation:

I followed your instructions, I create the file “log.txt”, so far everything perfect, but I have a question, how can I see the graph? Like that of your other post.

I only have one now since the other CHIP was bad (I did flash the bad CHIP OK, but it never energized the SDR or LNA (LNA light never lit) - - I had a blank Status Page in the Tuner app too. I flashed it after you told me it was beyond repair 4 times (for kicks :laughing:), and am confident that CHIP was bad as you say.

I though today I would get into the CHIP and measure the DC voltage coming down the USB cord to see if I have an unacceptable loss.

I’m also going to run some tests using a ferrite core I picked up at Radio Shack on Sunday. Ken

Your right, Cecil - - I didn’t first cd into /mnt/downloads. I just ran the sudo command.

I’ll try again with the correct sequence. Be back - - Ken

I’m having some problems finding the correct location for the Rachel index.html.

I though I had it correct without the stick notation, but get the following in PuTTY:

:sob: Ken

Has anyone else been experiencing a pile up of api calls?

As usual things don’t work smoothly for me. Have tried installing Skylark on my CHIP but no luck. VM Virtualbox cycles twice trying to find CHIP in Fel mode but can’t and then goes to command prompt. I am running in Windows 10 as administrator. Jumper is on CHIP but comes up in Device Manager as unknown device. I have been using RSPi3 but I see it will no longer be supported so I must get CHIP working. Any ideas? Thank you!

Yes - - I have. In my case, my browser lost contact with the CHIP and kept trying to reach it with repeated API calls.

It turned out that my CHIP had powered down during a viewing session. When I closed my browser and reopened it again, I could not connect to my chip as the CHIP was off. Ken

The CHIP power down issue is another of my posts here in this Discussion item.

1 Like

OK here’s the result @Syed @Abhishek

I found the problem - -

The white plug on the CHIP board is intermittent. If I gently wiggle the connector plugged into the board, the female receptor on the board moves ever so slightly and cuts the CHIP off. I checked to see if there was a cold solder, and it looked good - - so it must be a bad connection internal to the board.

Voltages look fine - - USB wall wart output is 5.0 vdc, CHIP voltages are:

GND to VCC-5V 5.03 vdc
GND to VCC-3V3 3.23 vdc
GND to Vcc-1V8 .364 vdc

Boston Power battery terminals when operting is 3.62 vdc, so I’m not lossing anything on my 10 ft USB cable.

@Syed how do you want to handle the CHIP repair? Do you want this one back to investigate the problem. This sure sounds suspect with other people’s problems.

For now I can jam a piece of paper between the black pin connector and the white female battery terminal to hold it in place and keeping it from disconnecting. Ken

The power down issue I had the last few days ultimately came down to my usb charger being 5v 4a but 1x4, so only 1a per port. They didn’t tell me that. I found a power supply laying around that I ran to charge in, and it works great. My autoboot on power even works now. I would wait to see what the guys at outernet says but if you have a soldering iron you can reflow those joints. The solder may not have made it all the way through the hole It could also be a loose connection between the pin on the board and the socket on your wire. You can use a small screwdriver or a xacto blace to bend the contact back for a snugger fit.

Anyway my chip is still responsive. The api calls start to pile up after the tuner status freezes and I reopen the window. I am checking to see if I get the same behavior without the tuner status open.

You really think I can re-flow the solder if I heat the joints up - - won’t hurt the inside of the substrate?

Pins are tight - - I already check that. My paper wedge works so well - - I guess being an engineer, that’s a viable solution too. :grinning:

Ken

I renamed the .txt file .csv, then opened it in excel spreadsheet. From there I highlighted the three columns of data and inserted a line type graph. That was about it. If you don’t have excel you can use libre office the same way.

-Cecil

How about before you worry about the LS command lets make sure you can CD to and LS a screen shot of where your Rachel on the USB stick are at. Even finding it from the file browser may be a good idea. Then we can figure out the exact command we need.

-Cecil