Skylark V1.0 - new Outernet Firmware!

I can not change back the default value. The SSID is not visible.

You can connect to it over usb. If you hook it up to a linux computer, it should see a usb-ethernet port and the CHIP should be accessible at http://10.10.10.10

Failing that, a reflash would allow the SSID to be back. There might be a h/w wifi issue. If you reflash, try changing something else, like enable wifi password, but don’t change the channel. See if that causes the same problem.

There have been no changes in the wifi driver/handling. So there should not be different behaviour. Did you mainly use it access point mode or wifi client (station) mode before flashing Skylark?

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bad EIP value error corrected via “enable” intel virtualization in BIOS.

thanks! Abhishek

1 Like

if we order a CHIP from the store will it come with this firmware or will it use the old librarian

@syed is the best person to answer that.

@dans34 Please email hello@outernet so we can specially flash it with Skylark. We will be transitioning to all production kits being flashed with Skylark over the next two weeks. If you’d like it pre-flashed, then just drop us a line.

@Syed , wanted to get a backup chip but cant seam to find just the chip in the store , any chance I can order one from you guys?

Following the pdf instructions clearly
Using Win10 Pro
Vbox 5.1.12 (running as an admin)

Once I get here it does nothing.
lights do not flash after 30 min of waiting.
as soon as the patience message shows, there is a disconnect sound on the windows machine, and a reconnect, and an error message from windows. I waited for 30 minutes staring at the LEDs. All this time the LEDs do not flash, do not go out, or blink.

The flashing seems to have worked. The disconnect sound, reconnect, and the error message, all indicate a proper bootup of the CHIP firmware. Only the non-blinking LEDs are out of order.

If you disconnect the CHIP from the computer (remove the FEL header as well), and power it up directly with a usb cable, does the LED start blinking after about 30 seconds? And can you see the Outernet access point?

No and No
Also,
This I think is one of the “New” v1.0 C.H.I.P.s

What happens when you power it up? Both LEDs remain lit?

There are two LEDs:

Power: this is the smaller, less intense one, away from the board edge.
Status: this is the brighter one, closer to the board edge.

Can you tell me the state of each, and if it changes at all once you plug it in, over a period of 1-2 minutes after plugging it in?

Could you take a picture of the CHIP - both sides - and share?

the “new” CHIPs should work with this firmware. And as I said, it seems to be booting fine from the windows disconnect/reconnect message.

Also, there are quite a few bad pieces in the “new” batch, in my experience, so its possible that yours has bad NAND. if the problem persists - even after a second successful (re)flash, thats the most probable explanation. In that case, it might be worth trying the official firmware from NTC and see if that flashes well.

1 Like

@Abhishek I am having the same issue. I can use it Skylark when I connect to it directly via Outernet SSID Wifi connection. I set Skylark to connect to my wireless network instead, and I get nothing at all. The CHIP will not even put in a DHCP request for an IP to get on my network. I have re-flashed it and I’m still have the same problem.

@Abhishek I have the Alpha CHIP that I ordered my DIY from Outernet. Still can not put Skylark/CHIP on my network. I can only talked to it when Skylark is the AP.

The wifi module on the CHIP has a very low gain antenna. Can you retry putting the CHIP closer to your access point and see if it connects (will need to reboot the CHIP).

I ended up putting in a wifi repeater next to my CHIPs.

@Abhishek Glad you noticed my message . I sent that about 1 minute after the new version had fired up & was listening to the satellite :slight_smile:

1 Like

made my day! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Abhishek The CHIP is fine whe it comes to that. I have not had any issues with connection with my WiFi. I re-flashed it a third time and it finally took. Don’t ask my why… I guess third time a charm. :slight_smile:

Sigh. I can’t wait for our integrated receiver to get in production. CHIP is definitely fiddly.

(same platform though!)

@Abhishek I agree. But hey, I’m using it now and got it set up and I’m getting used to the new GUI. So far so good. Thank you for time, and I have to say, job well done.

1 Like