Skylark V1.0 - new Outernet Firmware!

Ta,
I can run Python but I only have a windows machine connected to the Outernet.
I wil, have a play when I can,

BTW, I’ve had pretty good luck on a Windows machine with using a separate cheap USB WiFi dongle to connect to the Outernet SSID, while using the normal WiFi connection or Ethernet to connect to my ISP.

I want to leave the Outernet available as a separate open no-internet service that can be found with any device. I tested it with a couple of Kindle paperwhite e-book devices last night using the Kindle “Experimental Browser” and almost had success.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Well, here in San Antonio, Texas, the 7th most populous city in the U.S., we have exactly no ham radio stores. We had one for years and it died of attrition. Now, if you need some fast food, or a truck, we gotcha covered.

Then next closest one, in Austin, closed down in 2015. The next closest one, a couple hours drive to Houston, incidentally the 4th most populous city in the U.S., might as well close down.

I have been having an issue for a few days where my CHIP would turn off randomly. But this is where it gets odd, the light on the LNA is still on and the CHIP still shows up in my DHCP table. I tried a different power supply even though it was unlikely the cause. Is there a way to save the logs so they don’t get over written on next boot?

Just thought I would share my short time RSSI and SNR logs. So far there is a good correlation between the two. These data points are every two minutes. This is off the Amreicas SAT, I am located at 120w 35N.

This will be interesting as I have a good storm coming in over the next 24.

I will keep logging the data and will post this once in a while.

-Cecil
AA5CE.

Other than plugging in an inline USB current monitor is there any way to get charge information from the CHIP’s on board battery charger?

-C

I have the newest CHIP (received my DIY kit two days ago) and I have tried a Windows machine and two Linux machines attempting to flash the CHIP with the new Skylark build. I followed the instructions to the letter with an updated VirtualBox installation with guest additions, verified the pin-out of the FEL jumper and still, after uncountable attempts, cannot get the CHIP recognized.

Is it possible to purchase a different CHIP with Skylark flashed on it? At this point I am willing to throw a perfectly good virgin into a live volcano (provided I could actually find either) to get Skylark running.

Any assistance will be deeply appreciated.

BTW it took probably less than five minutes total to get the DIY kit together and receive data. Amazing, but now I lust after Skylark.

@mtnman Is there any chance you could have a power only micro usb cable you are using?

-C

• Is the LED on on the CHIP board? If not, press and hold the little button on the CHIP board.
  • In Windows if you look at the Control Panel -> Device Manager, do you see a new USB device pop up when you plug in the CHIP board in FEL mode? If not try to put a USB 2 hub between the PC and the CHIP.
  • If you look at the properties of the USB device, check the hardware ID (vendor and device ID).

Yes, you can buy flashed Skylark CHIPs from us, but if it is at all possible for you to flash your old one, that is greatly appreciated.

Bug report: another news article with a question mark in the title and therefore in the file name came in from the BBC which yields a 404 page not found. Special characters should be dropped when creating file names.

I assume you have a battery connected to the JST-PH socket? and want a way to “programatically” read the"status"?

You may be seeing some selective or flat fading of the signal. I believe the modulation type also effects this.

Adding @Abhishek

What is the procedure to order a Skylark flashed CHIP board?

I have firm intentions to purchase a Lantern as soon as they are available. Should I wait for the Lantern to become available?

My CHIP just shutdown again after only 5 hours uptime. Does anyone have any ideas?

My CHIP is now randomly shutting down. Sometime in just a few minutes. I’ve tried different power supplies, they seem to be fine. When I bring it back up and log in, everything looks fine, it gets frame lock, everything seems to be running ok, then poof.

@ki4its

Yep that is the idea.

-C

I know in the CHIP ALPHA implementation that you could run “battery.sh” as root and get those details

For those interested the log file that generated the graph above was in python on windows 10.

Here is the code. Adjust the paths in the code to match where you want things.

import sys
import requests
import time

f = open(‘g:\Python2_6_7\log.txt’ , ‘a’)

localtime = time.asctime( time.localtime(time.time()) )

ts = requests.get(‘http://192.168.1.253/DIRECT/getTunerStatus’).json()

f.write(“%s , %s , %s\n” %(localtime , ts[‘result’][‘rssi’]+125 ,ts [‘result’][‘snr’]))
f.close()

Then I added a task to windows task scheduler to look like this…

The Run Whenever and Highest privileges are important. And…

Actions, edit the paths to suit your system…

And no one on any forum mentioned that the task will not start correctly until you reboot windows. Wasted an hour on that mess.

Oh and some of you may be asking why I am shifting RSSI up by 125… Well it is just so you can more clearly see the relationship for the Signal strength to the SNR. Also sometimes I think it will go negative vs each other and you can use that to maybe do a bit of fine tuning for noise sources. Anyhow it is just to get them close on the graph. So if you really want the true rssi number sub out 125.

-Cecil

1 Like