Status page question

hi

i get my lighthouse conected to internet , but i dontt see 113w status on status web page?

and from this post

“status.outernet.is doesn’t show active transmissions. It shows active receivers with Internet connection. …”

any special configuration ???

To monitoring the active outernet receivers is a new concept, if I know well, it started first time around beginning of aug.:
We Moved!
In the latest ORx release it is part of the system, it is a monitor daemon. It run continuously, collect some informations about the status of the system, it store this in a temporaly buffer in /opt/orx and time to time it send to the central server.
You can check this processes in your system log file:

Sep 14 08:19:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Finished collecting data in 0.058797121048 seconds
Sep 14 08:20:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Collecting data
Sep 14 08:20:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Connected to socket
Sep 14 08:20:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Finished collecting data in 0.0588622093201 seconds
Sep 14 08:21:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Collecting data
Sep 14 08:21:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Connected to socket
Sep 14 08:21:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Finished collecting data in 0.0626888275146 seconds
Sep 14 08:22:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Collecting data
Sep 14 08:22:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Connected to socket
Sep 14 08:22:57 orxpi user.info outernet.monitor: Finished collecting data in 0.0599670410156 seconds

From this you can see approx every minutes start this process to collect infos.
If you want to see, which infos will be collect, you can ssh into the system, navigate in the /opt/orx dir, and use this command: cat monitoring.buffer.

===================

The server has mainly 2 interfaces. On it “bare” address you can access the “user interface”, displaing the receivers on the actually working/broadcasts satellites:
http://status.outernet.is/
and its notes:

“This page automatically refreshes every 5 minutes.”

The second interface designed to collect the informations from the receivers. It is not accessible for “manually”, or on a web/http interface. If you try it you will get an arror message:

Error: 405 Method Not Allowed
Sorry, the requested URL ‘http://status.outernet.is/heartbeat/’ caused an error:
Method not allowed.

because it need authentication (key) and special protocol to connect.
This is, what the moinitor daemon make and send the collected data.

To see, you are “active” or not, not so simple. On the status web page it displays only the summed number of the received calls in the last 5 minutes. This will refresh in every 5 minutes. If some clients/receivers come up or shut down in this time frame, it willnot be displayed “real time”. And your receiver system start to collect process in every minutes, not in synchron way with the server refresh time scale.
So, you need some patients, waiting some times, to see you are displayed as an active receiver or not…
t.janos

(by the way, it would be nice to discuss, which more, collected infos would be usefull to display on this status page.)

the lighthouse do not have this folder … /opt/orx

… lighthouse cant help to status page …

…increasingly I think this project is very cluttering

the lighthouse is runnig for 5 days …
in the lighthose the file monitoring.buffer is on /mnt/persist

[{“processing_time”: 0.16175103187561035, “timestamp”: 1442240221.0637319, “sat_config”: “218b8b4”, “pid”: “65”, “snr”: 0.83999999999999997, “client_id”: “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”, “transfers”: true, “bitrate”: 90234, “signal_lock”: true, “platform”: “wt200”, “service_id”: “outernet-0”}]

on top comand i get this

1152 1 root S 12396 1% 0% {monitor} /usr/bin/python2 /usr/sbin/monitor -P /var/run/monitoring.pid -u http://status.outernet.is/heartbeat/ -k

i must use local time o gmt time ?

Ok, it is a command-line parameter, where will be allocate the buffer, when you start the monitor daemon.
I havenot Lighthouse, I dont able to check on it this parameters, but if you are in the system with ssh, you can see it with the ps command too.
On ORx looks like the output of the monitor process in this way:

379 root {monitor} /usr/bin/python2 /usr/sbin/monitor -P /var/run/monitoring.pid -u http://status.outernet.is/heartbeat/ -k /opt/orx/monitoring.key -b /opt/orx/monitoring.buffer -p ORxPi

So: with -u switch you can modify the server,s address, with -k switch get the path to the key, and the -b switch define the path and filename of the buffer.
On ORx I use wired connection, and there is running a ntpd daemon,

215 root /usr/sbin/ntpd -g

It get the correct time from the internet time servers.

Here are my small idea, to display more info about the receivers:

To allow the receiver owners to use extended hostname. In recent case in my system is the hostname is orxpi. For example it can extend with a refference to the location: orxpi_near_budapest, and dispaly this extended hostname on the status page.
To propagate the (approx) coordinates of the receiver,s place. In this case we can use a map to locate the receivers. It is a good example of the location of the sensors on a volunter,s networks on map:

optionally click to display the places of the sensors.
But maybe, it is dangerous in a country, where are more control/censorship.
It can be display on a page, need authentication to see it.

this the complete line

outernet@outernet:~$  ps auxww | grep 1152
 1152 root     {monitor} /usr/bin/python2 /usr/sbin/monitor -P /var/run/monitoring.pid -u http://status.outernet.is/heartbeat/ -k /mnt/persist/monitoring.key -b /mnt/persist/monitoring.buffer -p wt200

and time ntpd

1121 root /usr/sbin/ntpd -g -p /var/run/ntpd.pid

I’m getting error reports from ES113W on regular basis, so I assume your script is working.

Lighthouse stores files in /mnt/persist as you can see. That’s Lighthouse’s equivalent of /opt/orx. There’s a small bug in the status.outernet.is page that makes devices disappear from time to time, so that might be one reason why you don’t see any devices on ES113W right now.