Technical Questions

I think this is an incredible project with some real potential benefits with education, health, weather, disaster recovery, organization, the list just goes on and on!

• Are there any white paper/design notes for how the system will be organized? Geostationary orbiting satellites or something more complex with a flyover broadcast system (kinda like a TV guide channel)?
  • Will anyone be able to add their own satellite to the network?
  • what’s the target bandwidth for any given satellite?
  • if multiple satellites are used to carry a piece of content (HD video broadcast for example), will the stream be split up by an elegant failover system, one satellite carrying audio, one carrying half of the video lines, another carrying the other half etc?
1 Like

We’re currently in the middle of the initial technical assessment, so the white papers will follow. Scott Burleigh at JPL, one of the architects behind Delay Tolerant Networking, is quite keen on this project and published something you might find interesting:

http://citizeninventor.wikia.com/wiki/Project_Resources

Since we’re talking about a global media delivery platform that communicates directly with consumer handsets and tablets, there will be a constant security threat; Outernet will be a prime target for system hacking. For that reason, external satellite will most likely not be able to join the network.

Target bandwidth is really a function of capital. We could build a pretty cheap constellation, but it would only provide 500 bits per second. We can also get to speeds above 1Mbps, but the cost increase will be substantial. It’s kind of like a buying a car; you could buy Tata Nano for $2000, or a Tesla Model S for $80,000.

The failover system and data throughput model is currently being designed, so I can’t speak about it in too much depth. A wifi radio can lock onto only one satellite, or wifi network, at a time, so there is only one in view of the antenna at any given moment.

2 Likes

Are you proposing to support standard 802.11(a/b/g/n) protocols on the client side? Is that possible without a duplex connection? Perhaps in promiscuous mode?

That’s precisely the approach–something similar to promiscuous or monitor mode. We really want to stay within the 802.11-spec so that we can natively work with the wifi ecosystem. It makes the spacecraft and constellation design significantly more difficult, but we think the benefit is worth it.

2 Likes

How can you stay within a 802.11 IEEE Standard and have the range to talk to something in low earth orbit? Is this system going to be just for receiving data from these satellites?

What are the practical power ranges available to a mini-sat in near earth orbit? Will the sat’s be set up to periodicly ‘burst’ out on a schedule, or do you expect to be able to transmit continuously?

This is being worked out right now, but generally speaking, the satellites will need to power down for periods of time. 5W-10W will be the maximum power on board; it mostly depends on this being a 1U, 1.5U, or 3U.

@Syed How you you expect to deal with Doppler shift? I have worked satellites before and i know how much you have to correct your radio to deal with Doppler… I can’t believe this would be possible to correct for without having some special firmware for the wifi chip!

If the antenna is big enough to hear a cellphone on the ground, it is also
(probably) a tight enough beam that it might have to be pointed so the
doppler is predictable for the ground spot. drift the oscillator appropriatly.

@snyder It DOESNT have to hear a cellphone from the ground… It’s one way communication. I can see that it would be possible to do with a rotted android phone but iPhones and vanilla android I think this would be impossible to do with.

Do you think that rooting Anderoid is enough to get into the firmware side ? I really don’t know, but I would love to hear !
I worry about the chipset having hardware limitations on the narrowness of the bandwidth.

I do recommend a large antenna with correspondingly narrow beamwidth because it is easier to
add a few dB to the antenna, than to add a few dB to the solar panels. :wink:

If doppler is something like 1 in 50,000 hz (Max, LEO to Ground) then 2.4 GHz is only 48kHz. Since the Spread Spectrum channels are 20MHz wide, i think the RF stages can follow the 0.24% drift.
Another way to look at it is that data is coming in at 1 MHz, so the despreading tracking loops have to have a the bandwidth at least that wide, the 48 kHz max doppler is much less than that.

Now if you can narrow the bandwidth of the despreading functions, and the corresponding data rates down to something like 10khz, you will definatly have to predict Doppler, but you would also
get a 100 times better SNR. (10 x range probably)

Note: the early AMSATs used 2m communications (145MHz) and their max doppler was something like 2.9kHz. Most of the time it was not that bad, and a normal HAM FM reciever could capture/lock the signal. then drop it into a packet radio modem. It was ‘almost to easy’.

-Gar.

Subhash From India…

****>Are Outernet is Common and Free for Every Humans in the World…?

Or

Fake Information to the World

*My Technical Questions.for Syed Karim…!

1.Does Outernet works with Smartphone Wifi Connectivity without any external Smartphone Dongle support or not?

2.If Smartphone Connected to Outernet via Wifi Authentication Protected Key or Open Network?

3.Does Outernet Comes with Low Quality of Data Speed Bandwidth like Gprs/Edge as 2G Speed Bandwidth like 50Kbps or Digital Video Broadcasting Protocol Network for connecting to a Smart WIFI TV?

4.Outernet will working for Desktop External Wifi Card or Not?

5.Is Outernet will Being Stopped by any Government or Unrestricted for Global Access?

6.Did Outernet will be Pre-Defined Web Content or Unrestricted Content for Accessing or Surfing in Browser?

7.Did Outernet will Work for Smartphone Applications like Whatsapp,Facebook,LINE,Viber,Wechat.,?

8.Will Outernet show Youtube Videos or Not?

9.Outernet will Provide Wifi Signal to All Mountains and All Villages or Not?

10.Will Outernet is Providing Access Internet Files via BitTorrent Application or Not?

Kindly Reply Me Soon… !

Very Very Special Thanks to Outernet Team.

I am Waiting for Outernet!

Hi Subhash,

Hope this answers most of your questions. Outernet will probably be a satellite broadcast using DVB-S. Smartphones and other devices would connect to a local WAP which will be connected to a DVB-S receiver. It will also be a one-way connection (broadcast), so you won’t be able to ‘surf’ or do anything else that requires the browser/app to send data back to Internet. Content selection will be done using USSD apps and/or web interface, and content selected by the community will be broadcast via satellites.

EDIT: Just to clarify for people who have been following the development from the start. Above setup is pending proof-of-concept, and is planned for phase 1. It may change in future (or it may not). We will publish the exact setup, when/if the proof-of-concept is successful.

what are the USSD apps to be used for Content Selection…!

Give A Fine Solution for me…Is Outernet is in Pending for Proof of Concept?

USSD app is currently under development so there’s no code. I also don’t know what kind of coverage we’ll have once it’s available, but we’ll try to cover as much as we can over time.

Proof of concept is being developed as well. It is scheduled to complete during this summer, possibly within the next couple of months. We’ll issue a project update once the details are worked out.

In Outernet.is Website,> What Will Outernet Deliver?

Click below Link to Download my Question Reference?

http://snk.to/f-cdh3euj1

My Questions as Follows:{Refer the the Above Link for Field Section}

1.In News & Information Field Section, Are Stock Prices on Stock Markets are to be Included or Not?

2.In Applications & Content Field Section, The OpenStreetMap supports Assisted-Gps for Smartphones or Not?

3.In Same Field Section, The Movies are to be Provided via Streaming or Downloadable Gateway, The Games & Music are also to be Provided by Which Kind of Representation?

4.In the Section of Emergency Communications,* Used When Cellular Networks Fail…Kindly Explain Briefly?, While that Whenever the Network fails or Any Time, At the Time of Used Cellular Network Fails Outernet is Providing Which Type of Emergency Communication.? Like 2G or Social Media Applications as like Whatsapp*

5.In the Same Above Mentioned Section*, What is the Global Notification System Deliver by the Outernet,? Is Social Media Applications or GSM Based SMS Service,?*

Kindly Reply My Questions with a Suitable Answers and Get Back to Me Soon…!

A Special Thanks to Outernet Team!

1 Like

Kindly Reply Me for my Last Question… Mr.Syed Karim or Branko

Outernet is datacasting via satellites. So, no, it doesn’t use social networks or phone apps. What you will get is basically a bunch of files to store somewhere (hard drive, etc), and means to browse those files. The files could be web pages, apps, emergency broadcast information, etc.

The list you are referring to is just a list of examples and what we think Outernet users might find useful. The actual content of the broadcast will depend on what users on the ground need (they will tell us using the USSD app and/or some other means) and on the content suggestions made by the community in response to those needs.

Thanking You for Replying Last Question…!

Kindly Clear my Doubt as Follows…!

Your Answer on Previous Questions::

Outernet will probably be a satellite broadcast using DVB-S. Smartphones and other devices would connect to a local WAP which will be connected to a DVB-S receiver.

Then My Question is…!

Are the Local WAP is the Protocol used to make connection between the Smartphones and the Satellites.

Is Your WAP protocol suite consists of following Protocols?
Wireless Application Environment (WAE)
Wireless Session Protocol (WSP)
Wireless Transaction Protocol (WTP)
Wireless Transport Layer Security (WTLS)
Wireless Datagram Protocol (WDP)
*** Any Wireless Data Network ***

> Is the Following Image having WAP Push Process will Apply Outernet Local WAP?

I know already the Outernet is Having Only One Way Connection for Broadcasting. the Following Image is Having 2 Way connection.

Or

Are the Following USSD Gateway Communication will be Used for
Outernet?

then My another Question is that …!

Your Concept; The Outernet is datacasting via satellites

My Question: How the Mobile Browser or Laptop Browser is Making Connection with the Web Server. what is the way to communication between the Mobile browser and the Cube Satellite.

Finally Tell me, *

Your Cube Satellite will Connect to a Wireless 802.11 a/b/g {Wi-Fi} Protocol or Not…?

Yes maybe, or maybe not.

Anyway, we will update you in time with more concrete information on how everything will work, and also provide working examples, and stuff like that. Just have some patience.