The thin veneer of the internet

even though this is one of the most intrepid altruistic idea of this decade.in my perspective which is right in the asshole of my country Ethiopia,i can not agree with everything,sure communication is a key part in the economic growth of a country and i would very much like this venture to come to fruition but from where i stand and what i see the people in my country waste this amazing resources browsing sites like facebook even while at work this in fact reduces the already little chance of developement and being independent,anyways this is just the facts i wanted to state,i guess you never know what you have till its gone any ways i hope you succeed God Bless.

1 Like

Hey 000mic!

I agree 100% - most Americans use the internet for trivial consumption and distraction, wasting time and ignoring the needs and the wisdom of the other 95% of the world. Take a look at http://roshan.af , Afghanistan’s rural cell provider, which is transforming and uniting the country, providing eGovernment, eBanking, weather and crop market reports, education, etc. to weakly-literate but strongly motivated farmers and villagers.

Roshan is my inspiration for Server Sky (http://server-sky.com), which may someday provide exascale computation and internet backhaul in collaboration with developing tropical nations like Afghanistan and Ethiopia. Individual, family, local community, and national-goal driven, not isolated consumerism like the western internet, or broadcast “progressive” propaganda like some outernet fans seem to want.

Human survival will require the best ideas and cultural lessons of all of mankind, not just a few rich countries or corporations or ideologies. I hope we can transform the internet into a rich fabric of all of mankind’s wisdom, and that westerners like me can learn from other cultures like Ethiopia, and live better lives as a result.

There are always people who waste resources. But let’s suppose 1 in a 1000 would not waste it. It’s still something. If among a million people, you have a thousand who are better off thanks to our technology, I’d call that a big success.