Updated ORxPi image v0.2.4

Will do.
Going to be tomorrow now. My outernet is standalone, and getting files off the network is difficult.

Any idea how we could make that easier?

Branko, its two, or perhaps three foldā€¦

Iā€™m developing my rig at work, and its mobile, so i have to point the dish by hand each time. Unfortunately my lab doesnā€™t have line of sight to 13E, so i have to pitch my antenna in a temporary location each day.

Also, Iā€™m writing this from within a locked down corporate IT network where i cannot bring screenshots and files in through USB, and there is no wifi either!

So itā€™s slow going!

Is there anything in the data that I have provided that might point towards my set up? I can get maximum signal strength with my satfinder, but I still donā€™t know how many dBā€™s Iā€™m sending down to my receiver with my 60cm dish. I looked up EIRP for hotbird, and I should be ok with 60cmā€¦

I really appreciate your support though. So thanks!

So, I have just set everything back up again thanks to today being the only non-rainy summers day in the UKā€¦

Surprise to see the ā€œHAS LOCKā€ icon is green and the following values:

0.0% on the signal strength
SNR 0.48
Bitrate hovering around 90.16kbit

left it running. Perhaps i will see a file come over the air? That would be exciting!

FOLLOW UP - 14 new files appeared in the update folder.

Hereā€™s a useful hint - - I have the same readings here outside of Washington, DC, off Galaxy 19 (youā€™re probably on HotBird) hovering around 83kbit. If you look at the ā€œApplications Logsā€ tab, you will see different packages of data being delivered marked with a UTC time/date. Most of these transmissions of late have been Tweets that can be seen in the Twitter Program area. I can go days here without any articles that light up my ā€œUpdatesā€ icon. Two weeks ago over a 3 day period, I received over 1,000 articles, and then nothing for days except Tweets. Ken

Ken, are you on ORxPi v0.2.4 ?

I donā€™t recall seeing a twitter program area in my GUI. (EDIT - found it, but nothing Rxā€™d yet)

Its got me thinking about how the datastream works. I noticed the transmission date is before my download date. So where is the buffer?

Yes I am using ORxPi v0.2.4. Here my screen shots showing where the Twitter Feeds are located
:

When you open the tab youā€™ll get a screen such as this:

Then if you select Deutche Welle and look around the different areas you find some (if your system has downloaded any) an article that may look like the following:

By the way, I mentioned the Applications Logs - - hereā€™s a shot of mine showing received signal content at 2015-08-10 11:40:07

Hope this is helpful. Ken

Thanks Ken. I have found the twitter feeds now, (are updates to the GIU sent OTA? Iā€™m sure there werenā€™t any twitter feed icons in there before)

Itā€™s good to be finally up and on the air!

Good point. When I originally set up my system with v0.2.4, I only had the first 3 (UNICEF Feeds, DW Feeds, and Twitter Feeds). Then one day I discovered the 4th one - OUTERNET Annoucements, but I did 2 things at once without checking (typical engineer misque) I updated my Image file with a small 40 meg file Branko put up, and then went live, so Iā€™m not sure.

Branko did however say in one of the Discussion Items they were changing the method of sending the Twitter Feeds, but I donā€™t recall how he planned to get that into the Librarian. Maybe heā€™ll read this and clarify. Ken

Hey guys, Iā€™m glad youā€™re all receiving. :smile:

The current way apps are delivered is via the files section. If you look under Files in the menu, youā€™ll see thereā€™s a folder called ā€˜appsā€™, and inside youā€™ll find the twitter apps. The respective data is in a folder called ā€˜twitterā€™ (iirc). The apps appear in the apps section once the app files are downloaded, and this is automatic (no install step). Unfortunately, there are also no notifications.

Because there was much confusion about the Library/Files/Apps division, weā€™re making changes to the way these are packaged and delivered so that they all use the same structure and metadata format as the regular ā€˜contentā€™ in the Library section. You can read more about it here: https://wiki.outernet.is/wiki/Content_types

Furthermore, future release will also automatically put stuff in the Library, and present you with a notification. If you look at the online demo (which is now our homepage), youā€™ll notice a bell icon in the top-right corner. Thatā€™s where notifications would appear.

Thanks for the info Branko. Did you see my hardware photo on Twitter? (Iā€™m @johnchinner)

I know we are working with a cut down OS, but is there any way to interface with Pi GPIO?

Iā€™m not really a software guy, and its open source, and i could probably do it myself, but, it would be good to have a couple of LEDā€™s attached an associated with the system events.

For instance, taking a GPIO pin high when receiver is LOCKED or there is a new update received?

I appreciate al the work you guys are doing, so please do tell me to get back in my boxā€¦

(and a reboot/shutdown button?)

Sorry, this post got all want, want, wantā€¦ but actually, I just want to helpā€¦ honestā€¦

Sorry, I donā€™t follow Twitter. :smile:

Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™m not a hardware guy. :))) Iā€™ll ask our h/w engineer about it.

We wanted to experiment with such features ourselves, but time just did not permit. So if you or anyone wants to tackle it, even better! That definitely helps.

This is my mobile demo setup.
Itā€™s a 60cm dish mounted on a tripod. The pelicase has the Pi, receiver board and re-purposed netgear AP inside, making it waterproof (ish). White antenna is for WIFI.

It runs of 12V, either mains adaptor or battery. I have used it plugged into a cigarette lighter socket in a car too. There is a satfinder mounted on the pole to help pointing.

My workshop/shed has a home built solar micro generation setup to run 12V lights etc, so Iā€™m going to strip it out and have it deployable with the Outernet rig.

Also plan to mount the case on the pole too, when I work out how to fix it without drilling holes in the case!

Iā€™m thinking this kind of set-up could be used in disaster relief or such, but right now it useful to take out to show a working Outernet hotspot, providing there is line of sight to 13E!

1 Like

That looks sweeeeet! :smiley:

Thanks, but I wouldnā€™t have got it working without your support!

Is there any quick way to delete the library? I imported 1500 files through USB, but want to create a ā€œcleanā€ copy.

(It also takes few minutes to get the library tab open from my laptop. Not sure if it is my ubuntu machine, or the Pi struggling)

Cheers

John

If you delete everything from /mnt/data/zipballs and also /mnt/data/librarian/main.sqlite, it should be empty. Exact commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/S91librarian stop
sudo rm -rf /mnt/data/zipballs/*
sudo rm /mnt/data/librarian/main.sqlite
sudo /etc/init.d/S91librarian start

Thanks Branko. Exact commands - you know me too well already!

Any thoughts on the slow browsing? Would library size affect how quickly the server works?

We introduced some new features that slowed the interface down considerably. Weā€™re now working to tighten it up a bit and make it faster. Other than that, the RPi rev1 is generally lacking in terms of horsepower.

Hi branko. got as far as the 3rd line, no directory exists.

cdā€™ing manually, the path to /mnt/data/librarian/main.sqlite fails at /librarian

Any ideas?

John