Useability in Finland and other sunlight challenged locales?

I was showing this project to a friend of mine in Finland, who asked if this would even be viable in the many months of the year there where the outside is harsh. No sunlight, extreme cold. Will the Lantern function indoors [concrete and steel buildings]? Does it need solar power, or are there backup electrical charging options [I presume the answer is yes, but did not see where it answered this]? How tolerant is the typical personal Lantern to cold [I know the village lanterns are more weather proofed]? Likewise, how does it deal with moisture? For that matter, what is its max heat or humidity situations? Im hoping the answers are easy and happy making, but just thought I’d ask!

Launch A Cubesat Constellation Change
You’ve done it! You have completely launched Outernet as a vertically integrated, independent media service for the entirety of humanity. You are a visionary who wants to change the world and we salute you. We will give you lots of free Lanterns too, let you name the constellation, involve you in the launch, and name our Sponsored archive after you.
Estimated delivery: July 2015
The Outernet Foundation Change
Create an endowment to guarantee that a universal information service - both broadcast data AND two-way Internet - is available to every person on the planet, in perpetuity. $1 billion has never been asked for before in a crowdfunding campaign, but there has also never been an opportunity to create such tectonic change in one stroke. You are a modern day Andrew Carnegie and your name will be known around the world forever. You have singlehandedly advanced the entire human race.
Estimated delivery: July 2015

https://discuss.outernet.is/t/lantern-one-device-free-data-from-space-forever/848

Extreme cold might not be good for the Lantern, and yes, it will need an external power source if you don’t have sunlight. Otherwise, it should be fine in your situation. Having said that, though, this is the very first version of Lantern, so it’s possible it may not work correctly in extreme situations.

Power from the mains is going to be preferred power. If Outernet can bring battery option with solar it isn’t going to be the tidy little tower to do it. Sheer math today of watts per meter.

Ditto for the hardware lasting through harsh winters. Cold is just one part of the issue and depending on how far north really could hard freeze the unit to death.

Humidity and water proofing is the bigger issue though. Bound to kill more units than anything.

Running the pillar indoors is the best idea and shouldn’t be too hard to connect the receiver to an antenna outdoors.