What is SafetyNET

What exactly is SafetyNET? I’ve never heard of it and cant seem to tie any google results to something that would be on Outernet.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/inmarsat.htm

I was able to get with outernet kit and http://www.tekmanoid.com/egc.shtml

Some interesting traffic can be seen there. I’m thinking about setting up a permanent receiver terminal for this, just for grins.

.BOGOSLOF VOLCANO AT 54N168W IS IN A STATE OF UNREST. MARINERS
TRAVELING IN THE VICINITY OF BOGOSLOF VOLCANO ARE URGED TO
EXO 30N E OF 140W AND 03.4S TO THE
EQUATOR E OF 120W

Cool stuff

So this is alerts of bleep going seriously wrong. Volcano style or hijack at sea style? Ought to be in the feed.

-C

Priority_______________Safety
Service________________[SafetyNET] Coastal Warning
Address________________0443C1 = NavArea 4 [USA East] Ice Report
Presentation___________IA5
Sequence Nr____________4912
Repetition_____________12
EGC Message:LES21 Marlink 10.10.107.29 6-FEB-2017 03:38:57 117506AVURNAV FORT DE FRANCE 003/17
CARRIBEAN SEA - MARTINIQUE
CHART FR6948
SEA USERS ARE INFORMED THAT A GUNNERY EXERCISE IS PLANNED FROM 031930Z
TO 032100Z FEBRUARY 17 IN AREA WITHIN 12 NAUTICAL MILES RADIUS OF
POSITION : 14-35.0N 061-47.4W (WGS84)

Thanks everyone for all the info, I actually want to get a boat someday, SafetyNET seems like something a sailor should definitely be familiar with.

Good to know stuff like this if you are on the high seas…

Priority_______________Safety
Service________________[SafetyNET] MET Navarea Warning / MET Forecast
Address________________02 = NavArea 2 [France]
Presentation___________IA5
Sequence Nr____________6058
Repetition_____________1
EGC Message:NAVAREA TWO 045/17
GULF OF GUINEA
NIGERIA
PIRACY
M/V ATTACKED IN POSITION 03-58.6N 005-28.6E AT 051024 UTC FEB 17
VESSELS ARE ADVISED TO KEEP CLEAR OF THIS
POSITION AND TO EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION.
REPORT TO MDAT-GOG,
PHONE: +33 2 98 22 88 88
E-MAIL: [email protected]

It would be nice to get this feed on Outernet

What is the frequency of this signal? I do not find that on the websites that I searched.
Is it not available on the same satellite as Outernet is? What I locate refers to different Inmarsat
satellites…

The Safety net stuff is not carried on AlphaSat (15.5 e ) which is the one we use for Outernet :frowning:
It is on 1537.1 Mhz on the 64E satellite though… it has an elevation of about 3 degrees for me, ( and is behind the house) so I can’t see it…
HOWEVER - it is on HF ( technically MW) on 518Khz USB in Europe , transmitted in relay in 10 min timeslots by the nations around the coastline.
It is “navtext” and easy to decode with FLdigi and a USB SW receiver . - the main problem is you will only see stuff that is “local” ( depending upon what transmitters you can hear) weather warnings are sent on all transmitters as are “pan” calls.
You get the “bonus” of extended weather forecasts, too
Here is a video ( not mine) of someone doing it in 518Khz

Pity… I was thinking along the lines of receiving it on an Outernet system simultaneously with the
usual signal. When it is within the bandwidth covered by the RTL stick initial downconversion and
sampling, and there is enough CPU power, that would be doable. However, both the frequency and
the different satellite rule that out.

1 Like

I’m receiving Aero successfully from Inmarsat I-4 F3 but cannot seem to find a frequency for SafetyNET.

Is there service from this bird or only from the ones over the Atlantic and Pacific?

Thanks.

Richard
ke7krf
Arizona USA

Scroll down this page for the frequencies:

http://www.uhf-satcom.com/lband/

I’m getting it from Inmarsat 3F4 at 54.0W Western Atlantic coverage at 1537.7MHz, using the paper helical and SDRPlay, inside the house.

1 Like

yes, I was disappointed to find it too ;(
I spent some time investigating every signal for a while there…
(edit again) I see that I was beaten to the link LOL!

Reoriented the patch antenna to 3F4 and the signal is fairly good. Just copied this :slight_smile:

NAVAREA IV 92/17(11).
GULF OF MEXICO.
LOUISIANA.

1. SURVEY OPERATIONS IN PROGRESS UNTIL 31 MAR BY
    M/V GECO EAGLE TOWING 14 9000 METER LONG
    CABLES, M/V WESTERN PATRIOT AND M/V VENTURER
    IN AREA BETWEEN
    28-08N 27-24N AND 091-32W 089-31W.
    SEVEN MILE BERTH REQUESTED.
  2. CANCEL NAVAREA IV 88/17.
  3. CANCEL THIS MSG 01 APR 17.

We are at approx 109 degrees west here in eastern Arizona and am somewhat surprised at the signal quality. Fortunately the best visibility from our valley is to the east. Tried the tekmanoid software but having an easier time with tdma-demo.

Thanks for the frequency info.

Richard
ke7krd

best Inmarsat STD-C EGC guide: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-decoding-inmarsat-std-c-egc-messages/

I often listen to the NAVTEX broadcasts on 8.416.5, 12.579, 16.806.5 kHz, which like the MW ones on 518 and 490 kHz are targeted to a particular region. There are also several other HF frequencies used, and here is a comprehensive list:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/maritimesafetyinfo.htm

Fldigi is a good program, but for Navtex my personal favorite is YaND (Yet Another Navtex Decoder) which although designed for 518 and 490 kHz (includes logging, schedules, etc) is fine for HF freqs as well.

Richard
ke7krf