Who decides what 2Mb of content I get?

Thanks to everyone for helping us think this one through. It’s going to be a tough one, that’s for sure.

To refine the initial proposal slightly, (I’m basing this on an assumption 0.5Mb/ day is available for this RSS based part of the core archive) You can see a rough draft of how this news service might look here minus the images obviously.

Base News: 5 headlines per country. In local language, generated using Google News. 0.38Mb/ day (ish)

Extended News (Full articles) (Mb/day to be worked out)
12? full articles of international news per day (3x en, 3x es, 3x fr 3x ar?) The ‘base news’ headlines are pretty limited. Let’s add some Creative commons licensed full articles; to the mix:
Global voices is a possible source
20minitos Professional reporting in Spanish
Wikinews: Not consistently good in en Good in es, pt

News for those that really need it (Approx 44Kb according to http://bytesizematters.com/, headlines only)

1. General human rights headlines English & other languages: 22Kb
  2. For each country that has a ‘very serious situation’ in terms of
    press freedom, provide one additional curated RSS feed. (approx 22Kb)

Above shows press freedom in 2014 according to Reporters without Borders. More here:

1 Like

Nice idea, sam

Whilst playing around with the various news feeds that are available on this: Your Personal Dashboard | NETVIBES

I have come to the conclusion that there is simply no ‘unbiased’ news. The best I think Outernet can hope for is to provide a range of sources and let people make up their own minds which ones they consider trustworthy.

I reckon that including headlines from:

The BBC (UK propaganda)
Voice of America (US propaganda)
RT.com (Russian propaganda)
Press TV (Iranian Propaganda)
Al-Jazeera (Muslim Propaganda)
China.org.cn (Chinese Propaganda)

Gives you a good range of sources. I’d tend to read the BBC and VOA on Ukraine, but Al-Jazeera, or RT.com on the US torture revelations…

1 Like

Any information you haven’t acquired through firsthand experience is typically biased. Even then, the subtlties of our minds can call into question even that which we know.