Introducing Dreamcatcher - see picture!

Great News. Syed does it have HDMI or any other monitor interface . How to access/control this hardware via ssh or? will it run in headless mode

@Syed or @Abhishek can you broadcast specific keyword matches from APRS to only one of the 3 birds? Reason I ask is the only active useful additional information I can find are the National Weather Service alerts but this would really only be relevant for the US so just 98W.

More information and other weather stuff is here:
http://www.aprs.org/APRS-docs/WX.TXT

I also found documentation stating that “SKYWRN” is sometimes used by SkyWarn spotters to report major weather events.

We prefer not to divide the broadcast, but yes, it is technically possible.

Wow, this rev seems worth waiting for. Purchase info coming out in the monthly?

Not until we get all of the bugs worked out.

Hi has there been any update on price for Dreamcatcher?

I am not sure having all the electronics out under the antenna in the tropics is a good idea.

I kind of prefer having the antenna and LNA outside and the RTL dongle and CHIP or other computer inside.

But if it reduces cost or increases performance etc I am happy to be part of the future.

MSRP of $99.

Yeah, we all agree that the LNA and antenna should be removed from the digital side, which is why the new antenna is an active patch.

Looking forward to your feedback so we can push forward on the next rev of Dreamcatcher. For example, we bumped the RAM to 512, just like everyone requested.

1 Like

Is $99 a full ready to go Outernet kit including the antenna?

$99 will be the sale price for the first production run, which will include an active ceramic patch antenna, as well as a really solid wifi dongle. So, yes, it is $99 for the complete kit (for now).

$99.00 thats Fabulous Syed.

You must be relieved to be getting near the end of another MAJOR hardware release.

Has the Outernet software been modified to run on the new arm chip.

Will the software be open sorce and can we download it and run it on other Arm board?

Will the software be the same as armbian?

Eh…we’re still not at the hardware product that will be high volume. When that is ready, I’ll be relieved.

We will be using Armbian, which is open source but won’t run on other ARM boards. It may possible work on another A13-based board.

Hi, I want to buy a unit of dreamcatcher, how can I order a unit, I was watching the main page where the ad comes out but when I click on buy receiver, it shows me the previous model …it is ready to order?

@Alessandro_Gallitell Yes! We have 500pcs coming in this afternoon, so it will ship out immediately. Sorry that the website is a little goofy right now. That will be changing shortly. If you can check back tomorrow, then you’ll be able to order Dreamcatcher directly through the website.

ok, perfect…Thanks!

Syed I can se the Dreamcatcher on the store page. But it does not describe what is in the kit.

I would like to see a picture of each component ie antenna etc.

Well done on bring this to a sales situation

I know these are lousy pictures, but at least now all of the pieces are on the product page. In addition to Dreamcatcher, there is the active antenna with the ceramic patch, as well as the SMA cable and wifi dongle. The microSD card is not included.

https://store.outernet.is/products/dreamcatcher-single-board-computer-kit-v2-03

Thanks for the pictures Syed. I know you must be very hectic at moment.

How long is the SMA Cable? I will need at least 3 meters to connect the outside L=Band Antenna to the indoors Dreamcatcher.

Seasalt.

That cable is only 10cm, though I am testing some 5 meter lengths later this week. There will be some loss in SNR, though.

I thought the antenna was a "active antenna " which in theory should make the coaxial cable loss negligible.

When I buy my dreamcatcher kit I would very much prefer having factory supplied parts for everything. Getting a high quality SMA ended Coaxial cable that works here in the Philippines could be a very long goose chase.

If i measure out my antenna cable length can Outernet supply a working cable to that length with my kit or kits that i will buy. I Can not decide whether to buy one dreamcatcher or two.

Will there be a promo if I buy two or more?

I have not been ablt to find the Armbian Dreamcatcher software anywhere on the Outernet websight.