Request For Comment - Satellite "hacking" for good

I see things like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-HD-1080P-DVB-S2-S-Digital-Video-Broadcast-Receiver-Set-Top-Box-Network-IPTV-/222110235548?hash=item33b6cd3b9c:g:ATEAAOSwLs5XLXaF and it does make me wonder how cheap they could get. Couldn’t find out much info on this model though, such as “does it run Linux”?

It is probably better to get a slightly higher priced model that comes with ethernet.
(although it could be possible to connect it via the USB interface)
A model running Linux should also be able to run the file service on the box, so no extra
Raspberry Pi or similar is required. Just store the files on a USB stick and access them via
the ethernet. (or WiFi)

I agree, but looking at that box makes me think that an integrated product could come into that price range if the volume/demand was there.

On another note, is anyone aware of any satellite TV station that does databursts, along the lines that Outernet did on, but in a particular time slot (.e.g. 4am-4:30am) would such a thing have even been possible?

I read it costs maybe $25,000 a month for a dedicated satellite channel (although I realise that might be waaay off), but if there was a partner that would give you half an hour a day for a (pro rata) fee, would that be possible?

DVB satellite broadcasting usually uses the entire capacity of a transponder to send a data stream at
many megabits/s, which is then multiplexed into different programme streams. This way, a single
transponder can transmit a couple of TV and radio programmes, electronic programme guide, updates
for the keystore in the subscriber smartcards, etc all over the same transponder.
When there is spare capacity (and there can be, because the datarate required to transmit TV picture
depends on the picture content), it could be used for a service like Outernet.
However, I don’t know how well those channels already are filled today, and it may be that they already
rent the spare capacity to commercial users that pay (relatively) big money, so it could be difficult to
get in. Also, those DVB satellites have limited coverage area (although much larger than spotbeams)
and it is difficult to get worldwide coverage such as is available on L-band.

we used to have a Ku-band service, pretty much what is being discussed here. The dish required for Ku-band is a BIG barrier to most people.

2 Likes

From my perspective, Ku was a waste of time and money. I regret pressing or as a prototype service.