What is the lowest spec computer that will work with the lantern/Skylark?

They could probably get them even cheaper if they contacted nextbook. I would also recommend the matte screen protectors on ebay as the screens are plastic and very reflective.

If this is about a device to consume the Outernet content, then any Android or Windows tablet should work. Need it to be Cheap? Well…

Amazon.com or Amazon.com

Here’s one for under $40 Amazon.com There are lots of these cheap tablets out there.

Maybe something a bit more durable? This can probably run Chrome in Mommy Mode™, Amazon.com

I was thinking something with a keyboard and mouse attached. A lot of those cheap tablets are also very unreliable. Think sending the device to remote parts of Africa, Belize or India. It needs to “just run” out of the box for someone that may not have played with a computer before.

Heck if the price of 4 with the Outernet receiver system could get under $350 then Outernet could run one of those silly “less than 1 dollar a day” commercials you see :smiley: “These poor kids can’t eat but for less than $1 a day you could give them news and Wikipedia so they can learn about the world that actually has food”. Ok maybe a bad joke, but you get the idea. :wink:

I’ll try this a little later tonight – good suggestion!.

Windows 10 for the RPi 3 isn’t a “normal” Windows in that it’s intended for developers of IoT applications. I loaded it when it first was made available by MS, and discovered it had little relevance for me. However it might still be worth experimenting with for the Outernet app but my guess is that there is a lot of work involved and not straightforward to port over. One positive is that it would be running under the ARM processor.

Richard
ke7krf

Point taken.

I’m thinking about some person who has never played with a computer before, attempting to put together a RPi, external screen, power supply, etc, and understanding what to look for if for some reason the thing doesn’t boot right up and work, or even what a connector is for. Also, the fragility of separate components, and the difficulty of transporting the separate pieces would make it likely to fail due to handling.

II tried the change on IE8, and restarted IE

and still can only go so far. Ken

Do other javascript sites load?

Well Thanks for trying Ken, that is the one that usually gives JS fits.

-C

No - - other Java sites don’t work either. I did a quick check on the internet, and found that the old IE8 has some Java issues.

This not a problem on new Windows 8 and 10 machines - - but in my case I never use IE8 on my Windows XP machines because Microsoft doesn’t support XP anymore.

Perfectly happy with Chrome and Firefox. As you all recall, Chrome renders the newer MP3 formats which Firefox does not. Not that we are getting allot of MP3s content. :wink: Ken

I like the idea a lot, but we really need to reduce the number of parts and products we offer. It creates logistical and cashflow issues.

1 Like

I would say, when you want a simple foolproof device to access the Outernet receiver, use a Chromebook
or Chromebox. Unfortunately they lose a bit of their appeal because the specs get upped all the time
(faster, more memory, better screen etc) and therefore they are no longer dirt-cheap, but what remains
is a trouble free computer that does not spend half of its time updating itself (like windows).

if it is in a situation where it is “offline” like where Outernet would be best off, the “updating itself” is not going to happen anyway
:slight_smile:

NOOB question, can we get outernet to send out windows updates. I want to be able to get the Win 10 creators update next month.

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Its possible but its likely to be 2-3 GB. So it would take about 5 months of continuous downloading to complete.

1 Like

Probably the most durable device for using Outernet data, at a sub-$100 price point, is the Amazon Kindle Fire at $60, or one of the kid Android tablets with integrated rubber baby buggy bumpers, and you have something that just works. A tweak or two to the config and you have a generic Outernet reader device.

Fewer parts = more reliability.

I agree with the Kindle, but only when running the next release and using non-Silk browser. Otherwise accessing Skylark is pretty much busted.