Alpha Lantern L Band Traffic

I have been running my Alpha Lantern for 3 days with strong signals ranging from 3 to 7 dB. Packets are downloading, but I have not received any files yet. I did a test Filecast, but haven’t seen it either. Any thoughts out there? Ken

On 2 Sep 1117 EDT 1,352 packets:

On 4 Sep 0910 EDT 77,791 packets:

We just noticed a major bug in the content server. Our monitoring system did not pick it up because packets are being sent, but files are not being put together. We’re on it. Sorry about the hiccup. This should be resolved by tomorrow or Tuesday.

1 Like

Files are now being recovered and displayed from downloaded packets on I4F3.

One question - - am I looking at files recovered from new packets, or from all the previous packets that arrived over the last few days? Ken

18 hours ago, I4F3 stoped downloading files - - packets are still being received. I only received files (as reported above) for a short time yesterday. Now nothing. Ken

I’ve still seen nothing via Alphasat.
This with SNR approx 9dB, SER 0, PER “-nan”, 0 CRC pass or fail and Status “CODE LK”.

Traffic on I4F3 America has been back for about a day now.

The MP3 test which was sent recently downloads and plays well in a Chrome Browser which is one of the few browsers that can resolve the new MP3 standard.

Something is wrong if you have code lock, but no frame lock with SNR of 9dB.
You previously received files, right?

Nope. I had some problems initially with libstdc++.so, but that was quickly resolved. I’ve never seen even as much as a CRC pass or fail.
The situation seems analogous to continuous reception of HDLC flags without ever receiving a data frame, though I have no idea if HDLC is actually used.
The thing is, I’ve not yet heard of anyone who has claimed to have recently received any frames/packets/files from Alphasat, so I’m not really sure what to expect.
I know the hardware is working fine, as I can receive Std-C and AERO traffic OK.

The following downloads occurred in I4F3 America on 9 Sep up till 1600 UTC:

HTMLGZ Files

Since the Librarian won’t open these files when viewed with the Chrome Browser in Windows XP, is there another easy way to view their content? Ken

XP…oh. At this time, no, unfortunately.

I am confused about these files too.

What are these files and how do we open them?

What is the advantage of a htmlqz file?

I use Windows XP as a “lowest common denominator” system to view Outernet files. If I can see them, anyone can.

I can’t see/open HTMLGZ content with Firefox, Chrome, Opera or IE in Windows 10, or on an Android Smartphone running Chrome and Firefox. Ken

Ah yes. Can you reflash with this:

Test Image 2016.09.09

I assumed the CHIP would self flash using the web interface.
I downloaded the image.

I then unziped it on to a USB memory stick in its own directory.

The CHIP software could not find the image.
I then put the 200 mb file in the root directory of the stick it still did not find it.

Sorry for not clarifying. That image requires a full reflash. We should have a .pkg next week, which will allow a USB update.

OK, so when I get the .PKG file downloaded and put on a FAT 32 USB stick, I will plug it alone into the USB port on the CHIP in the Lantern, or should I unplug the SDR device from the long black USB hub, and put the USB stick there in its place? It won’t require a boot file like the Lighthouses did for a full reflash will it?

I don’t recall finding any info on flashing the Lantern’s CHIP. Ken

It will not require a boot file like on Lighthouse. The .pkg only needs to be placed on a USB port, so that black hub is sufficient. Yes, you do still need a FAT32 stick. It will do it’s normal blinky-blink and when the lights go out, you’ll need to remove the USB stick. Removing it is very important.

I’m not sure which version you are running now, but if it is the one from 0822, then you can try the update process with this:

https://archive.outernet.is/images/rxOS-CHIP/2.0a2-201608261757/rxos-chip-v2.0a2-201608261757nv%2Baad26f4-full.pkg

No, I’m running rxOS v2.0a1 built 2016-08-19,

so I’ll wait. Any way, I want to be able to use the USB to Ethernet stick to connect to my router, and an external hard drive. So far, I have not been able to get my external WD 1 GB hard drive to be recognized even when I connected it thru a powered hub. Let us all know when/where the .PKG file will be. Ken